Part One

Started living with Jordan was the best thing I've ever done. I'm not exaggerating. Even though there were days when we were both busy working, I was sure we'd fall asleep and wake up next to each other. Except, of course, the days Jordan was gone, which wasn't that often.

Normally, he'd go away for a day at most, because of his new job. This time, he was gone for almost a week to visit his father in Texas. It's only been a week, but it seemed like an eternity to me. I haven't been used to being separated from him for so long since we broke up.

When he came to my gym that afternoon, I fell enthusiastically around his neck, and for a good few second, I held him so hard that the he couldn't breathe.

"I wasn't expecting you till tonight," I said when I let him go.

"I caught up an earlier flight," he replied. "I missed you."

"I missed you too."

We kissed for a long time, and I could feel my whole body watering with heat that only he could summon.

"What time are you coming home? I need to talk to you about Christmas."

"Christmas?" I stopped. "Wh-what's with them?"

"Well, we haven't discussed anything yet." He shrugged. "There are a lot of questions just around the tree. Are we going to have natural or plastic? I'm for the natural. We could put it in the living room and..."

"Oh," said the behind us. Jenn unexpectedly joined our discussion. "Christmas."

"Don't you like Christmas?" Jordan asked. He looked quite taken aback.

"I do, but Lex doesn't."

"What?"

"And what?" I shrugged. "It's no big deal. It's a chaotic time, and I'm avoiding it as much as I can. I was counting on it to be the same this year."

There was silence between us. I was looking at Jordan, and he was looking at me without one of us talking for a good few second.

"Er..." He finally coughed. "Well, let's talk about it at home. See you."

He kissed me briefly, took his things and went outside. I looked behind him for a while and wondered if I had hurt him in any way. He looked quite surprised and taken aback, but that's probably how I looked, too. I didn't know Jordan was "the Christmas type". And I was quite surprised by that.

"Why don't you like Christmas?" Jennifer asked.

"I've said it many times." I rolled my eyes. "There's too much fuss about it. There's too many people everywhere. Everybody's crazy about presents. And those commercials that make you buy gifts you can't afford... I hate it."

For a moment, an thought arose on my mind, which I quickly repudiated.

"I have to go do something."

Besides what I said, there was another reason that I didn't want to discuss with her. I could only hope Jordan would understand.

I got home around 6:00. Jordan was in the kitchen, and he seemed to pay all his attention by layering lasagna in front of him. We said quiet "hi", and without looking at me, he told me I had, like, 20 minutes before dinner was ready.

"All right," I said. "I'm going to take a shower."

He didn't say anything about that. I was quite taken aback by his withdrawal. I wasn't used to anything like that. In the shower, I was wondering if the strange atmosphere might be caused by the sudden discovery that we didn't agree on Christmas. I didn't understand why he cared so much.