Chapter 2 - Underground

Fruitberries was cold. His eyes were closed. Had he just woken up? He opened his eyes and looked around. He seemed to be in a small room. The only light was coming from a single, small, almost burned out candle in the corner of the room. He curled up, shivering. Why was it so cold. He didn't want to be here. Why did he start working for the agency... he just wanted to be safe. He just wanted to go home. He just wanted to see his family.

He couldn't lose all hope just yet. Fruitberries stood up and tried to look around. The candle has started to slowly but surely die down. Then it was compeletly dark. But that just made his job easier. Without the light of the candle he could faintly see the light that was coming through the door to the room. Now he knew how to get out of here. He tried walking forward but he felt something hold him back. He looked down, and as he kind of expected, there was a chain wrapped around his ankle. Life just loves to kick your ass everytime you dare to hope, doesn't it...

Deciding that there was nothing he could do about it he sat down in the corner of the room and waited. He wrapped his arms around himself, hoping to keep himself somewhat warm. Fruitberries didn't know how long he sat there. All he knew was that each second it was getting colder. Was he going to die here?

He didn'teven know when he closed his eyes. After some time, has it been hours, days? He did not know, the door opened, but he didn't even have the strenght to open his eyes and look up. All he wanted was to fall asleep and never wake up. It was so cold.

He could hear someone call out to him, but it wasn't his name, or nickname. Whoever it was just reffered to him as "agent". He could feel something being wrapped around him, was it a blanket? All he knew was that he wasn't cold anymore. He rested his head against the wall. He assumed that the person who just entered the room left, he could tell by the sound of the door closing before everything faded into quiet and welcoming darkness and he fell asleep.

When Fruitberries woke up again he looked around. There was nobody here. He looked at the blanket that was wrapped around his body. He heard the door open and he looked up. He saw his target standing at the door. He glared at the man, I mean... you gotta make yourself look threatening, even if you're in no position to make threats.

-glad you're awake- his target spoke as he walked closer to the agent. Fruitberries remained silent, still glaring at the taller male.
-umm.... this... this is kind of awkward... could you at least talk?- the taller spoke again, and received the silence yet again.
-just make a sound... please...- the hooded male said, kind of awkwardly.

-you're a criminal yet you don't act like one- Fruitberries spoke.
-thank god you can talk... and... I am not a criminal... or... well... gosh this will be difficult to explain...- the taller said. Fruitberries just sat there, looking at his target.

The hooded male sat down right in front of Fruitberries.
-will you let me explain the whole situation? Without attacking me or some other stuff?- the taller asked. Fruitberries only nodded. I mean, he couldn't attack even if he wanted to, others might come and kill him if he did.

-so... the agency you're working for... they... aren't doing what you think they are... i know you probably don't believe me, but please, just listen. But first let me ask a few queations, is that okay with you?- the taller asked, Fruitberries could only nod, he had nothing to lose anymore anyway.

-how long have you been working for the agency?
-around... maybe two or three years...
-how many times have there been instances of missions that had only the appearance of the target and no other information? I mean like, how many overall?
-I heard stories of targets like these, but you were the first one like that i had to capture.
-what does the agency do with captured targets?
-I... I don't know... they probably send them to prison or something...

His target looked him in the eyes, he seemed intimidating and Fruitberries could only curl up in fear, backing away further into the corner of the room. The taller sighed.

-you poor soul... how did you become like this... how did you get involved in this mess...- his target spoke. Fruitberries didn't understand what he meant.
-what do you mean by that?-he asked.

-I was a boy, lived on the streets, cold and alone, but one day, a woman with a boy younger than me came by and gave me some food and a blanket. They visited everyday. The boy and I made a promise as he was about to leave the town. "Promise to see eachother again".- his target spoke.

-and I just couldn't bring myself to forget the boy. The same one that is sitting right in front of me- the taller spoke. Fruitberries immiedietly started remembering that day, the day he left his home town to work in the agency in the capital. He remembered a boy, older than him by one or two years. They played together. They were like brothers. Was his target really the same person from back then?

-no... you're lying... you gotta be... it's impossible... you're not him... he wouldn't...- Fruitberries didn't know what to think anymore. He couldn't breathe, was he panicking? He felt arms wrap around him and someone stroking his hair.
-I'm here, I'm the same boy you knew. You're safe... with me- the taller spoke.

-why... why does the agency want you... what happens to those who are captured?... please... I need to know...- Fruitberries spoke as he looked up at the taller.

-the agency wants those who know too much, for now I can't say what I know, but believe me... it's to keep you safe. And for the targets who are captured... they are tortured until they submit... and then... either killed or experimented on...- the taller said. Fruitberries didn't want to know anything else. He could only hug his friend and cry. Everything he was taught was a lie.

-what am I supposed to call you here, 'agent'? The taller asked after Fruitberries calmed down from his breakdown.
-my codename is Fruitberries... so you can call me that- Fruitberries said.
-is it okay if I just call you Fruit?- the taller asked. Fruit only nodded.

-and what am I supposed to call you?- Fruit asked
-Illumina; that's what everyone in the underground calls me- the taller replied.

-what is the underground?- Fruitberries asked as Illumina was taking the chain off of his ankle.
-the underground is a secret underground city under the capital. I'm quite surprised nobody discovered it yet- Illumina laughed a little.

They both left the little cold room and walked outside, to the city.

-are you hungry, Fruit?- Illumina asked.
-actualy... I am... also, how long was I you know... out?- Fruitberries aksed
-few days, sorry about not thinking about keeping you warm... I had to attend to some other things...- Illumina said
-it's fine... at least you didn't leave me to die...- Fruit said, playfuly punching Illumina.

They went to a restaurant, everyone was wary of Fruit, I guess his agency clothes gave him away. They ate in peace, didn't talk to eachother.

-so where am I supposed to stay, it would be suspicious if I just returned to the agency- Fruitberries said.
-that's true... you could stay with me if you want, we could catch up on some things.
-that would be nice... thank you, Illumina- Fruitberries said.

-no problem. I'll be always there, Fruit. Just for you, my little brother.
-we... we're not even related!- Fruit yelled at Illumina as they walked to the taller's house.

They entered and just sat at the couch, talking until Fruitberries fell asleep, resting his head on Illumina's shoulder.

-goodnight, my little green fruit- Illumina said, smiling.