Chapter 22: The Angel and the Sky

Start from the beginning

"I don't need them," said Lucy.

"You don't," said Balthazar. Carlo couldn't tell if he was serious or not. "Accepting them will make them feel useful to you."

Was it over, then? "Who is your lady?" asked Carlo. Was Balthazar referring to Nuit, imprisoned in the sky?

Lucy brushed sand off her red cloak, out of the feathers of her collar. "Where is Octavia? Khun?"

Balthazar ignored Carlo's question. "Since Caius Klaereon is dead, someone must take up the burden of the Solomon Scroll. It cannot be you. Let us see if it can be your sister. Octavia must have a proper Trial."

***

Octavia stumbled forward, feeling her way on her hands and knees. She was on a platform at the universe's edge, and she could not see where the universe ended. Fear stoppered her ears, as it had the last time she stood before the angel.

Where was Lucy? Did Ra possess her? How could she have let this happen? How many mistakes she had made!

"Pay attention to this moment," said a voice surrounding her. "We both have a second chance."

Above her, the giant angel expanded her wings, full of the night and stars. Octavia, huddling in Carlo's muddy jacket, reached toward the angel.

"I am not worthy to be here," she said, her voice trembling. "I have made so many mistakes. I want to do the right thing. I want to save my family. I will accept my responsibility and I will Bind Khun."

The angel's voice pierced through her like a trumpet. Octavia covered her ears with her hands, but could still hear the clear sound. A golden drop trailed down the angel's cheek and Octavia moved one hand to catch it, the shining bead which held her future.

Octavia swallowed it. She swelled with light, not the golden light of Ra, but something inside her, which swept away all her doubts. Octavia contemplated the angel's night wings. She wished she could stay forever, but she would have to find her way out. Three perfect feathers, soft and gray, fluttered down like autumn leaves. Octavia held them in her hands. There was absolute silence inside of her, no voices for the first time in her life. She did not need her father or Khun or Ra to maneuver her through the noise. She would fight Khun as she had promised, but not yet. She listened to her newfound peace.

***

Blue lightning sizzled around Drusus as he moved toward Balthazar. "Where is my wife?"

"My lady is giving Octavia her blessing."

"I have to go to her." Drusus stepped toward Balthazar, and the guardian stepped out of Drusus' path.

"Drusus Claudian, an Anchor will fetch the Binder from my lady. You are the sole person here who can act as an Anchor. You must go."

"I take Octavia to Khun?"

"Bring her back here. Khun will be waiting. When they battle, you will remind her of her humanity by keeping her rooted to this world. Then she will Bind Khun, or Khun will Bind her."

"What if she doesn't defeat Khun?" Drusus asked. "Have you considered that?"

"It is a possible outcome. If she fails, Lucy will kill her," said Balthazar.

"There are complexities," said Lucy. "I can't kill Octavia since she's—"

"There are no complexities where the Solomon Scroll is involved. As you are no longer under Erasmus' contract or a Binder, I concede you would not have to kill her. That duty would fall to me."

"She won't lose," said Drusus. Carlo thought he was convincing himself. "She was tricked before. She won't lose this time."

"In the service of Solomon, I have seen many things." Balthazar swept an arm toward the temple.