Chapter 5

"Yum, mangoes"

Mangoes were her favorite fruit, and she was delighted to see them so early in the season. A few branches spread out invitingly towards the balcony, almost as if the tree was calling out to her.

Encouraged by the improvement in her daughter's health, Vexz had allowed the child to leave the secret room, and she would play around in her quarters while her mom would work.

"Mom, can you please fetch those mangoes for me, please?"

No answer. Mom must have been busy.

She quickly fetched a chair, climbed it, and tried to reach out to the tree. Just out of reach. She stood up on her toes, and tried again. The mango fell, and she fell with it.

"What goes on here?" Vexz was surprised to see a small crowd in the garden behind the imperial palace. The guards didn't know how to react, and silently averted their eyes and made way for her. Someone was lying on the ground, a pool of blood beneath their body. A small child. "Who...who is that?" she asked, her heart quickening. Potpie, the doctor, was checking for a pulse. He looked towards her with a strange expression on his face. "Dead."

No... after all she did... after the lengths she had gone to...

"Alice, Alice where are you?"

She was running from room to room, hoping against hope that her daughter would jump out of a closet and surprise her. "Dammit she's gone Vexz!" Potpie shouted. He softened his expression and whispered "I'm sorry, but she's gone."

Vexz ran outside. "The high justice, stop her!" Potpie shouted behind her. Someone tried to intercept her, but she pushed them aside and continued running. When she finally stopped, she realized she had reached the crimson field. She collapsed and started crying.

She felt a hand on her shoulders. "Go away Potpie." When the hand wasn't removed, she turned, and saw it was a blind old man. "Who are you?" she asked

"I'm a traveler between life and death, my child" he replied. "Yeah death, not a fan of that" Vexz replied. "What is death but life born anew?" he asked. "Look there!"

She looked where he had pointed. A small rat had died, and its body was beginning to decay. "The body of the rat will become nutrients for the plants. And thus, the cycle of life goes on"

Vexz nodded as realization and acceptance finally began to seep in. Her load didn't feel any lighter, but she felt strong enough to carry it.

"The enemy is not who you think it is", the blind man continued, "Much rests on your choices. Now, close your eyes."

She closed her eyes as he touched a forehead, and she felt a calming sensation deep within. When she opened her eyes again, the blind man was gone.

"Don't run off like that!"

Potpie had finally caught up with her. He was winded. "Where's the old man?" she asked. "What old man?" he asked. "Dude, there was this old guy talking to me a while ago. Actually, never mind"

Her load didn't feel any lighter, but she felt strong enough to carry it.

She stood up and wiped away her tears. "Please get me in touch with the Emperor", she said, "There is something he needs to know urgently."

"Take cover!" Putmir shouted. The Commonwealth soldiers dove down behind the rubble as they were greeted by machine gun fire. The cities were death zones for tanks, and thus the infantry was forced to go in alone. Fierce fighting raged on the streets as the Quack soldiers from their defensive positions were inflicting heavy losses on Commonwealth. But Putmir was resolute. He knew that the border cities had to be taken before they could march onto the Quack heartland. Despite the protests of his ministers, he had signed up on to one of the urban warfare teams himself.