Chapter 1

Chapter 1
Evangeline's POV
There were sounds of gunshots ringing all around me and I covered my ears from the effect. It was even scarier with the fog that made it completely impossible to see what was going on; all I had to do was to stand helplessly patient waiting for a bullet to hit me or the shoot out to stop until it did stop all of a sudden. There was calmness but the fog remained and out of curiosity I started looking all around me as far as my eyes could see and all I could see was dead bodies covered in their own blood, but somehow I was strong enough and didn’t start crying or running from fear until I felt someone’s hand touch me and I turned only to see a woman who had a gun wound in her fore head and blood all over her face and her white hair now a mixture of blood and dirt and that was when I screamed.

Hey!! It’s Ok. Someone said
I looked around in fear looking for the woman only to realize it was a dream when my eyes fell another woman who looked nothing like the walking dead woman I saw just now, something was oddly familiar about her but I couldn’t quite place my hands on it, I swallowed.
My eyes started scanning around and the outcome was very confusing and so I turned back to woman who was now smiling tenderly at me with a questioning look.
You are in the hospital Eva! You had an accident and you were rushed here.
Accident? How come I don’t remember anything?
You will be fine honey, everything will be fine. She said again and somehow I got even confused, why was she trying to motivate me?
Who… who are you please? I asked in a very weak voice and surprisingly she didn’t reply immediately, she only stared at me for some time.
You don’t remember me?
I shook my head in reply and she gasped her face outlined with fear.
You really don’t know who I am? Her voice shook a little as she asked this but I only stared at her and watched her clean a tear that was about to drop from her left eye.
I will be back, wait for me. Her voice was still shook and then she hurried left the room leaving me as confused as ever.
Something is definitely not right here at all and it scares me. Why don’t I remember anything at all? I tried to think back to anything that might have happened before now but all my brains could produce was the horrible dream I just had and a very huge blinding headache.
I held my head from the effect of the headache only to realize that I had a huge bandage on my head and yet cannot remember how I got into the accident.
The door opened and the woman entered and then a man who seems to be a doctor entered with her and then two nurses followed behind him.
The doctor walked up to me with a pitiful smile on his face just like the rest of the people in the room and I hate being pitied.
You have been unconscious for days Eva; it’s good to have you back. Tell me please, what do you remember Eva?  He asked and I almost scoffed.
Just a weird dream I just had about being in a shootout and nothing else, I just have a very bad headache right now and will appreciate it if you guys will stop staring at me pitifully and tell me what the hell is going on. I ranted not minding the surprised looks on their faces, I guess they weren’t expecting me to talk this much but I am dead curious to know what is going on.
The doctor cleared his throat and managed a little smile again; well my outburst may have successfully pulled off the pitiful smile from his face.
You were into an accident and I will advice you exercise a little patience while we run some tests on you, I wouldn’t want to be paranoid. He smiled again and then turned to the nurses quietly instructing them on what to do and all I could see was them nodding at whatever he had said and he turning back to smile at me once more before walking out of the room leaving the nurses and the woman once more.
The nurses carried on with whatever they have been instructed to do concerning the drip that was connected to my hand and the bandage on my head but my sole attention was on the woman who was staring at me pitifully.
You still don’t want to tell me who you are! I said as I turned to look at the nurse who was injecting something into the drip set connected to my hand and only looked back at her when she cleared her throat.
I am your Aunt Mina, your Mothers sister. She said and I paused.
I would have said it’s nice to meet her but the circumstance was saying a different thing all together; I don’t even remember who my own mother is.
My mother, Where is she? I asked my voice as calm as the waters even though I am very uncomfortable inside.
I watched the woman tear up again and this time the tears fell smoothly while I watched her as the fear of the answer she was about to tell me built up but I was determined to be strong and understand everything that is going on right now.
Your parents were in the accident too, but unfortunately they didn’t…… she trailed off and continued crying while a watched her not knowing that my tears were running too.
I swallowed hardly hating myself for not being able to help myself, how did we get into the accident? How did I lose my family and end up in this hospital? What type of people where my parents? All these questions were building up in me but dizziness took over as I felt my eyes closing on its own and the last words I heard before I fell deeply into sleep was “Sleep Eva, everything will be fine in the end” How I wish I could believe those words.

She has acute amentia which was from the result of the head injury, it is actually a long term memory loss but with the prescribed medicines, lets watch how things will turn out. I heard the doctor’s voice; maybe they haven’t realized that I was up now because I still had my eyes closed.
Will she be alright? Mina’s voice came with a sad tone attached to it and I heard the doctor sigh deeply, from the sound of the whole discussion, I could tell they were only few feet away from my bed and so I lay still; I just have this feeling that they might want to hide everything if I was to make it known to them that I was already awake.
She will be fine with time, but we don’t know for sure how long it will take for her to get her memories back. The doctor said and then silence followed and so I waited but in vain because the next thing I heard was the door opening and closing indicating that someone must have left.
I opened my eyes and realized it was getting dark inside the ward and then I realized that I must have slept for long.
You’re up! Aunt Mina said, more like a statement than a question. I don’t know why I feel the need to ignore her every time she speaks or the reason why I feel the need to yell at her: Hell, I feel like yelling at everybody right now and she was no exception; I want to cry, to shout and kill everybody and I don’t know why but all I could do was lie still and watch Aunt Mina walk up to me pushing a table to me.
Here you must eat something; you haven’t eaten real food for days now. She had a patient smile on her face as she passed me the food flask which I collected nevertheless and whispered a thank you to her which only seemed to increase her smile.
The doctor says you will be discharged in 3 days time if there are improvements but we will be coming back for checkups.
Ok.
Do you still have the headache? She asked tenderly and I shook my head in reply.
No! I replied and continued with eating while she kept watching me with an unreadable expression on her face.
You will be fine. She whispered again and silence fell between us.

Aunty Mina’s car pulled up in the drive way of her house and she turned once more to smile at me while I kept on my straight face.
Welcome home Eva, this will be your home from now on. She said with a smile and I nodded.
As soon as she went down from the car and I followed, the house door opened and two blondes rushed out dressed in shorts and tank tops of different shades.
Mommy! Welcome back. One said as she jumped on her mom laughing but the other seemed a little distant as she stared at me and I stared back. They all seemed familiar but I still don’t remember anything about them.
Hi Eva. Mom says you don’t remember anything! She said and then smiled pitifully at me, a behaviour which I am already getting used to due to the fact that it is like the only smile I have been receiving since I woke up from that hospital bed.
We are your cousins. The other said hugging me actually catching me unawares; she let go almost immediately and grinned.
I am Arianna and that’s my twin sister Stephanie.
It’s nice to meet you both and thank you so much every one for letting me stay here. I said trying to sound as civil as possible despite my discomfort.
Come on, there’s no need for the formalities; I hope you recover soon so that you will laugh at yourself for being this stiff. Arianna said and laughed and started dragging me towards the house.
Be careful with her Aria, she still isn’t strong enough for much run. Aunt Mina’s voice came from a distance and I watched Arianna grin again, I like her free nature already.
Ok mum, I am not going to kill her anyway, just wanted to give her a room. She yelled back and then dragged me into the house and then up the stair case where we met some maids who bowed slightly as we hurried past them.
You have maids! I said and she scoffed.
Not as much as your parents though. She said and then opened a room, nicely decorated and painted with a yellow and shades of pink.
This will be your room from now on.
Thank you Arianna. I said and she smiled and hugged me again.
We are glad to have you here, get well soon. She said and then hurried off leaving me alone to the room.
A knock came minutes after and I invited the person in.
Good evening ma’am, I am Stella, I was instructed by the boss to bring these to your room. She said handing me over a bag.
Thank you. You are a maid here? I asked with a little smile
Yes Ma’am.
Call me Eva please. I told her but she seemed hesitant.
i…. she trailed off and I smiled at her again.
It’s ok Stella, you can call me Eva, and you seem older than I am. I told her with a smile and she bowed slightly.
I beg to take my leave Miss Eva.
Go on, and thank you for the stuffs.  I told her and again she bowed and left.
I sighed deeply and opened the bag to see a new towel, a new toothbrush, soap and other washing materials.
Aunt Mina seems to be a good person. I told myself with a little smile as I watched everything. Even the wardrobe seemed full of clothes and underwear, she didn’t have to stress herself this much for all these things, but I really appreciate. I will make sure to thank her later.
Maybe I will enjoy it here after all, but I shouldn’t be all too relaxed, something is definitely wrong and I must get to the root of everything.
I am on a mission and no matter what the doctor says I must find out what is happening somehow. The only word that kept ringing in my head was “Trust no One”.