Chapter 11: The Great River

Start from the beginning

"These are the daggers of the Noldorin. They have already seen service in war." Pippin's eyes widen and he swallows. "Do not fear, young Peregrin Took, you will find your courage."

She turns to Sam.

"And for you, Samwise Gamgee, elven rope. Made of hithlain." I smile as she hands Sam a coiled up rope, remembering when Sam complained about forgetting to bring rope back before Caradhras.

"Thank you, my lady." Sam stutters. "Erm... Have you run out of those nice, shiny daggers?" He asks, looking up at the smiling elf. She walks down the line to Gimli, who scuffles his feet on the ground.

"And what gift would a Dwarf ask of the Elves?"

Gimli looks up uncertainly, unsure of what to say.

"Nothing..." He starts. "Except to look upon the Lady of the Galadhrim one last time, for she is more fair than all the jewel beneath the earth."

I chuckle at the dwarf's words, and Galadriel laughs. Gimli blushes and I smile widely. I've never before seen a dwarf blush, and this would probably be the last time. I take a mental photo and store it in my mind, planning to bug Gimli about it later on.

"Actually, er, there was one thing.." I hear Gimli mumble, and I turn to Legolas beside me, who is smiling as well.

"Have you ever seen Gimli blush before?" I whisper. He shakes his head. "I think he fancies her."

Legolas chokes and several elves turn to look at him, but he quickly regains his calm composure and glares at me from the corner of his eye. I smirk and turn back to the lady, who has already moved on to Aragorn.

She gives him a sheath made to fit his sword, overlaid with the tracery of flowers and leaves wrought of silver and gold.

"The blade that is drawn from the sheath shall not be stained or broken even in defeat." Galadriel says. "You have your own choice to make, Aragorn. To rise above the height of all your fathers since the days of Elendil, or to fall into darkness with all that is left of your kin." Aragorn nods. "Namárië (farewell)." She whispers to him.

Aragorn lowers his head but the Lady of the Light gently tilts his head back up with her hand.

"There is much you have yet to do. We shall not meet again, Elessar." Galadriel murmurs, using Aragorn's last name. She turns, lastly, to the Ringbearer; Frodo. She takes out a small phial, filled with something bright, and holds it out to Frodo.

"Farewell, Frodo Baggins. I give to you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you when all other lights go out."

Frodo takes the phial and Galadriel kisses Frodo's forehead. Several elves come forward, bearing dark green/grey cloaks. One walks over to me and fastens it over my shoulders, clipping it in place with a gorgeous green leaf broach veined with silver. I look at the Fellowship in matching cloaks and smile.

"Never before have we clad stangers in the garb of our people." Celeborn speaks up. "May these cloaks sheilf you from unfriendly eyes." The elves back up and we walk to the three boats. I get in with Legolas and Gimli, Boromir goes with Merry and Pippin and Aragorn sits with Sam and Frodo. Legolas picks up the oars and rows slowly down the magneficent river. Lady Galadriel waves slowly with a light smile, and I turn away to look at Gimli and Legolas.

"I have taken my worst wound at this parting, having looked my last upon that which is fairest. Henceforth, I will call nothing fair unless it is given to me." Gimli says softly with a sigh. I meet Legolas' gaze and smile.

"What was her gift?" Legolas asks, and the dwarf looks at him, then me. I smile at him, nodding.

"I asked her for one hair from her golden head.." Gimli murmurs, remembering. "She gave me three."

I smile as the boat bobs gently on the water, Legolas rowing swiftly. I remember my gift- the swords. I unconciously grasp the hilts of my new blades and picture their glittering pointed edges, shining in the sun. I had put my old daggers in my pack- I wasn't going to leave them! Elrond had given them to me when I was young, and they are still special to me. I plan on keeping them.

I start dozing off, comfortable in the wooden boat. The sun shines on my face, a cool, light breeze blowing my hair out from behind me. The water is crystalline and clear, lifting the boat up, then down, up, then down, as Legolas rows behind me.

* * *

The boat hits the shore with a thud, jerking me awake from my nap. The light is fading from the sky and we all get out of the boats, onto the land. As I clamber out, I almost fall but Legolas grabs my arm, smiling.

"You okay?" I nod, and blush as my stomach growls. "Hungry?" I nod again, and he reaches into his pack.

"Thank you." I say as he pulls out a leaf-wrapped package, biting into the bread that is wrapped inside. "What is this?"

Legolas smirks at my desperation for food, and we walk over to the shelter of the trees.

"Lembas bread. Elvish waybread." He pauses, glancing at me devouring my food like a warg. He raises an eyebrow.

"When was the last time you ate something?"

I stop chewing and think. Before Lothlórien, Moria, Caradhras....

"When the hobbits tackled Boromir before the birds came."

Legolas widens his eyes.

"What?" I shrug and continue eating. My stomach feels quite full now, and only half of the Lembas is gone.

I finish my bread and toss the leaf wrapping into my pack, unrolling my bedroll. Everyone else does the same, and Sam is about to light a fire but Aragorn stops him. I glance up, confused. It is a starless and moonless night- it will be dark, not to mention cold. How are we to survive if we cannot see, or if we freeze to death?

"No, Sam. There are orcs pursueing us, and if we have a fire, they will see us. We cannot let them find us." Aragorn murmurs, and the hobbit nods, retreating to his own sleeping space.

I shiver despite wrapping myself up in blankets. Legolas sees me and scoots closer, and lies right beside me. I flip over to face him and snuggle into his warm chest, glancing up at him thankfully. He smiles and wraps his arms around me, and I doze off to sleep with him stroking my hair.

This is nicer than a fire, I'd say...

A/N: another short chapter whoo!!! i promise the next chapter will be longer.... and sadder... :(

Oh, and you may have noticed another change with Aragorn's gift! I didn't really like how PJ made him get nothing, and just get told about Arwen's fate. I don't like that, haha, so I changed it to how it was in the book (Tolkien's original idea). I guess that's the good thing about fanfictions- you can change whatever you want in it to how you like! :3

Thank y'all for reeaaadddinnnggg :D

Shay xx