My face turned in grimace, staring confused at his sudden change of demeanor, '' Draco, you can't just—,''

'' I said, fucking leave,''

And without thinking — I did as he demanded,

I walked away. Leaving him alone in the darkness.

_____

Days slowly passed without Draco speaking one single word to me since the night in out in the courtyard, but perhaps that's for the better, us not even looking in each other direction,

It eased my mind, not fretting his temper to cause me more pain.

Because it did,

Everything he did to me has caused me such great pain.

But the letter Narcissa granted me allowed me to breathe through the hurt; she penned that she kept in touch with my mother, that she could not write me herself due to my father and the evil search of her, but she wrote me her words — that when all of this was over, we would never be apart again, and even if that was plain torture at this time,

I intended to hold her to that promise,

Narcissa made me swear never to tell her son about my mother since the loyalty he kept for his father was graver than all of us. Draco trusted his father more than anyone, and ever since Luna told me that her father caught whispers about my father looking for me, no one in my mind could ever be trusted.

_____

'' You're doing it again,'' Blaise chuckled, making me wince by the surprising words. My eyes snapped to his, giving him an annoyed look before looking out over the lake again, '' Oh, is this how it's going to be?''

'' What?'' I huffed, my knees pushed up to my chest, '' What am I doing?''

His shoulder scored against mine, nudging me away, '' This is exactly my point, you see—,'' He smirked, white teeth showing in a cheeky smile, '' You're not here, or — you are,'' He held, his fingers brushing over his head, scratching it after, '' But you're not, does that make sense?''

I felt more than bad. My mind wandered a lot these days, even if I wished it not too and falling lost in my thoughts wasn't a rare thing anymore,

I forced a smile, peering up at the gentle boy next to me, '' No—, I'm sorry. I just...''

'' I have so much homework to do—,'' I lied, even if every bone in my body caved for me not to — I did. Because he deserved so much better than the painful truth of reality, '' I'm sorry. I'll try to do better—,''

'' Don't say that,'' He spoke, tilting his head to look at me, '' If a lot is going on, I'm here for you. You know that, right?''

I nodded, stray strands of hair fell over my shoulders as he smiled at it, softly tucking it back behind my ear, '' So can you, you know?''

'' I know,'' He hushed, the brown eyes glinted in guilt as he shook his head — his mind fought between right and wrong, '' I do... I do need to tell you something,''

'' What?'' I nearly whispered, my head dipping to rest on his shoulder, '' What does Blaise Zabini have to tell me this time?''

Moments of silence passed as he hesitatingly held his breath, kindly brushing his cheek against my head, '' Mr. Malfoy came to see us earlier today, and he asked if you—,''

'' He did what?''

My body jolted up from the grass, standing tall in my shoes in front of him, '' Tell me what he asked,'' I urged, in need to know why — to understand if this was another attempt for him to find out more about my mother.