Thank you, Kageyama

Start from the beginning

"Why did you kiss Hinata? Why did you act like nothing happened last night? Do you not feel guilty for kissing your best friends boyfriend?" The softness of your voice slowly rises louder and louder. "Yachi, why?! Aren't we friends? Friends don't do that to each other." You cry out to her with redden cheeks.

She scoffs and takes a step closer to you. "First of all. Hinata always had feelings for me. Before, during, and after his relationship with you."

Her cruel words feels like sharp arrows hitting your chest. You stare at her in disbelief. This cruel tone of hers is not one you recognize. She wears a lopsided grin when she grips your jaw with her hand. "I also only befriending you because I pitied you. You were a new student who enrolled a month after everyone else."

Hearing the truth from Yachi makes you rethink everything about your friendship. You're unable to form a response as you try to wrap your mind around her words. A hand reaches out to grip Yachi's wrist.

A low growl speaks from beside you. "Let go of Y/L/N."

Both Yachi and you look up to see the owner of the voice. The person who's formed a crowd by the gym is Kageyama. His other hand is full of gift bags from the girls earlier. Yachi scoffs and glares at Kageyama the moment she makes eye contact with him.

"Must be nice to have somebody protect you Y/L/N." Yachi clicks her tongue. She releases her grip on your jaw and Kageyama lets go of her wrist.

"Are you here to beat Y/L/N down while she's vulnerable? Don't you have anything else to do Yachi?" Kageyama is the one to be angry now. His piercing dark blue eyes drill holes into Yachi. You notice her slight nervousness from Kageyama's interrogation.

She turns around and leaves the two of you after muttering a 'whatever' under her breath. Flipping her hair behind her, she leaves the campus. You lower your eyes when you see her leave. Kageyama drags out a sigh when he turns his attention over to you.

"Don't let that shorty bully you Y/L/N." His tight knit brows turn into furrowed ones when he sees Y/L/N cry quietly beside him. She looks completely hopeless and abused mentally today.

"I know." She whimpers out. Her shoulders shudder and she weakly repeats herself. "I know..."

Kageyama slumps his shoulders and sighs. "Why are you back here anyway? Did you bail out on seeing Hinata?" Kageyama watches Y/L/N wipe her tears away and sniffle. She looks up to him with a deep frown.

"We broke up."

Kageyama's eyebrow twitches and he's breathless. He was so sure that Y/L/N would find a way to forgive Hinata. But whatever Hinata said must've drove her away from the thought.

"He still has lingering feelings for Yachi. I can't continue a relationship with him knowing that I'll be the second girl on his mind and not the first." She bites down on her lip harshly to feel a different kind of pain. Distracting her mind, she avoids crying again.

Kageyama senses how heartbroken Y/L/N is from her tone. He couldn't take a portion of her pain away even if he wanted to. Unsure what to tell her, he scrunches his nose.

"Are you hungry? You wanted take out earlier. We can get some fast food and eat it at a park." He raises the many gift bags in his hand. "I'm sure there's plenty of dessert here for the two of us to eat after." You cast your eyes over to the colorful gift bags that Kageyama raises up. He's definitely captured many hearts this year. But he always has.

"You don't have a Valentines date today, Kageyama?"

He grimaces at Y/L/N's question, scrunching his face together. "Date? I have a date with volleyball practice later this afternoon if that's what you're implying."

"N-Not exactly. But I expect nothing less from you Kageyama." You manage to lightheartedly laugh.

"Are we going to get food or not? Because I'm starving." Kageyama changes the conversation and he starts to leave you behind. You shake your head and stare at Kageyama's back.

Thank you Kageyama. For being surprisingly dependable.