TS 8 part 2

Matt landed back on to his hunches.   It was not the strength of her shove, but the shock that carried his momentum backwards. The battle had depleted his strength but her actions caused weariness to bury deeper into him, deeper than his enemies claws.

The bone deep weariness was that of defeat.  His nemesis was dead on the ground, but he did not feel like the winner.  The blood that grew cold at his feet might as well be his.

Sarah had that power over him, that ability to tear him to pieces in seconds.   Worse was the fact that her claws had a far greater reach than her father's.  The strikes delivered by her father were pesky mosquito bites compared to the wounds that she inflicted. He was forever destined to be her lap dog.

Matt looked away, focusing instead on those that surrounded them.   He stood up slowly and ignored the pain from his various injuries. To show any weakness now would invite challenges from those that did not know him or remember him from his days as a member of the pack.

Matt took a deep breath, willing the pain to subside and allowed the mantle of responsibility for the pack to settle over him. As if synchronized, the group lowered themselves - pledged themselves to him.

New emotions began to attack his senses as a new connection began to form between himself and his new pack. He could feel the many different feelings emanating from the group, surprisingly enough he felt their joy, pride and relief.

Not surprising to him was the anger, jealousy and hatred. Those emotions were like a black miasma threatening to smother him. He could not pinpoint every emotion bombarding him, as the bonds were barely forming, but some of the strongest he could feel came from the group mourning the previous Alpha.

Matt could not help the twinge of anger that bloomed within him upon seeing Sarah so desperately beg for her father's survival.

He hardened his defenses and his heart against her pain.