It seemed like my efforts weren't enough because he then said, "Merlin, if you're upset about yesterday, I'm sorry."

"No it's fine really," I assured him. Was it really fine though? Something about this guy was just irritating.

"Well I don't think we were properly introduced," he held out his hand for me to shake, "George Weasley." He gave me a charming smile and reluctantly, I took his hand.

"Marlee Chang," I said, ten octaves higher than usual. I assumed that was because I wasn't used to people being so nice to me, but he didn't seem to notice my change of tone and went back to chatting with Lee.

Class started right when the bell rang and Umbridge's heels clicked as she strutted to the front of the classroom. She passed out new books, 'Dark Arts Defence: Basics for Beginners'.

What the bloody hell is this? I thought to myself while flipping through the pages.

As if he read my mind, George leaned over and whispered, "Bloody hell. What are we, first years? Check this out."

I realized what he was doing once he slipped his wand out of his pocket and stared intently at his book.

"George don't—"

"Engorgio," he whispered and flicked his wand.

The book became the size of our desk and all of the attention was on us as students chuckled under their breaths.

"Dang it, that's not what I was going for," he muttered and tapped his wand to his freckled chin.

"Well what were you going for?" I hissed before realizing Umbridge's heel clicking was approaching us.

"Mr. Weasley, I'm sure you know that charm work is not allowed outside of your Charms class. In fact we will not be using magic at all in my class."

"What? Why not?" questioned George.

A smirk grew on Umbridge's face as she began, "I don't see why there would be a need to use magic in my class."

George kept a furrowed brow. "That's mental! We won't be using magic in our Defense Against the Dark Arts class? Isn't that the point? I mean—"

"Mr. Weasley!" Umbridge snapped. "I wasn't going to punish you for your silly little prank but now it seems like you think you deserve to be punished, hm? I will be seeing you in detention today."

George rolled his eyes and I saw Fred at the front of the room, peering over his shoulder as he laughed at his idiotic brother. Thankfully, George was quiet for the rest of class. I certainly didn't want detention on the first day.

The next day in DADA, George wasn't goofing off with Lee and didn't greet me like he did yesterday. To my surprise, he was actually reading a book. I didn't expect George Weasley of all people to be a reader. He looked quite immersed in it as well and that's when I noticed a huge scar on his hand.

"Bloody hell, George," I exclaimed as I sat down in my seat.

He looked up from his book, confused. "What is it?"

"Did Umbridge do that to you?" I pointed to his hand and he immediately hid it under his book.

"Oh that? That's nothing," he said, casually, and went back to his reading which only made me more annoyed. I pulled his hand out from under his book to get a closer look. It was all red and blotchy—looked like it hurt a lot. Why did I care so much anyway? I'd known this guy for what, 40 hours?

Suddenly, I was hit by something in the back of my head. I turned to see Zane staring at me holding George's hand which I then let go of, now feeling embarrassed. Zane moved his eyes toward the ball of paper he had chucked at me and I begrudgingly picked it off the ground to read:

Got a new boyfriend already?

I gave him the dirtiest look I could produce. Zane was my "ex" and I say "ex" because we were never actually official. He was crazy just like every other Slytherin boy when you date them. They're so possessive and controlling then become obsessed with your every move after they broke up with you.

George peered over my shoulder to look at the note. "What's it say?" I felt his warm breath on my neck as he attempted to read it himself before I crumpled it up and shoved it in the pocket of my robe.

"Nothing..." I lied. "Just like your hand." I could have sworn I saw a small grin flash on George's lips from my joke as he turned his attention back to the front of the room.

There was a moment of silence before he smirked and leant towards me again. "Still dating Smith are you?"

"No..." I hesitated. I didn't even know he knew about that. Yesterday he made it seem like he hadn't even known of me before our accidental run in.

"We broke up ages ago—plus we didn't even actually date it was just a...thing," I scoffed and looked off to the side, trying to find an excuse out of this conversation.

"Alright," he said and raised his eyebrows as if he didn't believe me.

Before I could fire back, Umbridge's annoying, hem hem, brought all of our attention to the front of the room to start our second lesson.

This was going to be a long year.