━ i: saturday coffee

Start from the beginning

          After having settled and situated herself, Tommy took a sip of her coffee while glanced at the attendance list. It was a mistake to be drinking though, because in seeing one of the names on the list, she had a difficult time swallowing the contents already in her mouth.

          Jason Scott was going to be coming to detention for the rest of the year. "Shit."

          He hadn't been in school for almost three whole weeks because of his arrest for that dumb prank he decided to pull, so this would be the first time Tommy would see him since she'd broken things off. They hadn't left things on good terms at all which meant Tommy was dreading every single second of the rest of her time in this god forsaken basement.

          Running a hand through her wavy locks, Tommy let out a soft sigh and began marking off the people she saw were already here on the attendance list. Maybe if she got lost enough in the world of her responsibilities, she could just pretend that Jason wasn't actually here.

          The other students practically destroyed her plan before it even started when Wesley and the other kids decided to start mooing at Jason's arrival. Tommy stole a glance at him for curiosity's sake. He seemed unfazed by their taunting. A few high school bullies' words were probably nothing in comparison to what his father was undoubtedly dishing out on him. Now he was particularly furious with Jason last Tommy saw him...

          Tommy shook herself of her concerns for him and threw herself into her work of grading papers, another task she'd offered to do. It was easier to work out a student's failed attempt at understanding quadratics than to think about her ex, and it was extremely difficult to grasp just how badly this student did on her math test.

          Not even a full question later, Tommy heard a loud thud that knocked her out of her grading groove. Wesley had hip-checked Billy Cranston's desk which sent several of his colored pencils to the floor. 

          She didn't really know Billy, but Tommy knew that he was autistic and had a very particular way of having things. This 100% was no accident, Tommy was aware, but she couldn't reprimand Wesley without proper cause. He was even apologizing, another thing that Tommy saw right through. Still couldn't do anything.

          "You're a freak, you know that?" Wesley berated Billy while getting in his face.

          "Hey," Tommy chided. She made no move to get up in hopes that maybe her tone was enough to get Wesley to lay off.

          Wesley just ignored her however. "I've had to watch you play with these for weeks. Are you crazy?"

          "Wesley, stop that-"

          "N-No-" Billy muttered in reply to Wesley's question. Tommy could see the hurt in his eyes, rage running through her at this fact.

          "What if you had an extra one, huh?" Wesley took the pencil and snapped it in two. "Why don't you cut this act? Why don't you stop me, huh?"

          The sound of the break sent Tommy to her feet. Louder than the first time, she yelled, "Hey!"

          The people around her thought Wesley's little show was quite comical. They thought Tommy's reaction to be even funnier. Whistles and laughs rang out around her as she made strong, hurried strides towards Billy and Wesley. Was this some kind of joke to them? To see someone standing up for someone that was in need? Or was it just because it was funny to see the pristine Tommy Oliver lose her cool for once?

          In her haste of fury, Tommy didn't see Jason Scott stand between her and Wesley. She knocked into his back, but Jason was too concerned with the situation before him to care much about what happened behind him.