She didn't notice the tears drifting down her cheeks until a hand showed up to wipe them clean.

"What is it?"

"Just thinking about how much I am going to miss them"

"We'll visit often. We'll take care of them...together" Asad's reassuring hand came up on hers as he crouched down on the floor in front of her.

Zoya looked at him lovingly and slowly whispered "I wish they were here... to see you... meet you...they would be happy Asad, proud of you"

"Proud of us" he corrected; his own eyes teary.

All her life, she had struggled to find home, a happy place – until she met him. She'd never felt a love so deep, so strong, so complex.

Gone were the days where pretence of her 'bubbly nature' hid the sadness behind closed doors.

She finally felt complete; happy.

Yes, the dream of that missed childhood would forever lurk in the back of her mind, but no longer she felt the need to lock herself lone to wallow in miseries and self- pity.

She truly believed her Allah Miyan had given her more than she deserved.

Asad picked up another picture sitting on the small table. It was of a young Zoya smiling at the camera, flaunting her prom dress.

"Thank god you didn't like that loser Mark" He'd just heard about her prom night crush from her friends.

"Jealous Mr. khan"

"No, I would have made you mine even if you did" he said confident.

Her brows shot up "You wouldn't even admit your feelings; talking about making me yours" she scoffed.

"Slow and steady wins the race, right"

"Always have a comeback, right" she mimicked.

"It's a wonder I can get a word in" he smiled, kissing her softly on the lips.

"I know what you're trying to do" she whispered

"Am I any good?" he nuzzled her neck, venturing down.

She nodded gasping "Can't remember a thing"

Good.

xx

"Ayaan, you know I can't come"

"I wish you could bhai... I did" he argued

"That's different and you know it" Asad retorted

"Will my bhabhi be there at least?" he tried again

"Ayaan" His hard tone put an end to the conversation

"Fine, allah haafiz" Ayaan sulked

Asad's hand found its way to his forehead as he disconnected the call.

"Are you okay?" Zoya asked as she entered the room with a load of laundry in her arms.

Asad nodded, busying himself with his laptop.

Zoya shook her head disapproving. Did he think she was blind?

He'd been restless ever since they'd landed home. But she was very well aware what was troubling him. His baby brother was getting married in less than a month and a brother like him would want nothing but to be there for him...yet the burnt bridges didn't allow him to wedge that gap.

But his begum had other plans. She wasn't called Mona darling –promoted now to Mona Bhabhi– for nothing.

She dropped the freshly washed clothes on the bed and walked towards where he sat. He pretended to work with some papers as she settled beside him.