Prologue

Mania was 4 years old at the time. A time that she'd never forget. Her dad wanted to show what it was like being a true carnivore to the kids young, since they've already been eating like herbivores. Gin was at a friend's house, so he wasn't there to see all of it. Where her dad worked was a very gory place. Mania was into it, but Kendo didn't like it at all. But, they both decided to keep going anyways, with their mother beside them for protection. Mania, Kendo, and their mother were in the back of a room with other carnivores and omnivores. Her dad stood in the crowd, ready to devour the next piece of meat that he sees. "You see," Mania's dad explained to the children, "it's all in the technique." He was about to pounce at the piece of meat that would be thrown onto the floor.

Little did all the carnivores and omnivores know, when the elevator opened, there was a little boy, a deer to be exact, bursting out of the elevator. He looked at the sea of carnivores and omnivores, along with Mania, Kendo and their concerned mother in the back of the room. Mania looked and saw a tall stag handing the frightened deer a knife. "Wait.. Mania thought, as her dad was slowly creeping up to the little deer. "Wait, what is he doing-!?" All of a sudden, the little deer screamed as he darted towards the carnivores and omnivores, with the knife threatening his own neck. The little boy was about to kill himself, rather than be devoured. 

Meanwhile, Mania's bodily instincts fought with her carnivore side of her omnivore being. She kept budging in her mother's arms as she thought to herself, "I have to go save him or else he's gonna be devoured or at least kill himself in the process, but I can't! Dad is supposed to be teaching me something, but I-" All of a sudden, her mind caught up with her body as she bursted out of her mother's arms and dashed to the little boy, trying to catch him. Just as she was arm's length with the small deer, the tall stag swiftly reached for the boy, not knowing a thing about Mania, grabbing the boy and closing the elevator. Mania fell and scraped her elbow on the stone floor, then looked up. Then, pointing the knife that the small deer had at my mom's friend, who was a carnivore, the tall stag and the small and frightened, but bold deer, went up with the elevator along with it.

"Mania!!" The family shouted from the room, Mania responding to every question and claim she could hear. Kendo asked, "Are you okay!?" Mania responded with, "I'm fine, I think I scraped my elbow though." Mania's breath shaking. Her mother ran over and hugged her with tears in her eyes, saying, "You scared me to death! Don't ever do that again!" "Okay, okay..." Mania responded, "but I had to-" She stopped speaking at the sight of her dad glaring at her with those dark brown eyes. When the eyes opened, she knew she was in trouble.

When Mania and her dad were home and her mom and Kendo went to get Jin, Mania's dad had a talk with her. "Why would you leap forward like that?" Mania was silent. "I... He was gonna..." "That's no excuse, you could've been killed!" "I couldn't stand around and watch him die!" Her dad chuckled, "I get it... Maybe you aren't ready to be a true Omnivore after all..." "W- What...? N- No! Please! I still want to be-!" "Then, act like one, Mania. You know what your grandfather said to me?" Mania shook her head in response. "You can't expect to be an animal in this world without expecting bloodshed and violence." "But... He was just a kid! He didn't even live 'till a hundred yet!" "Sometimes that happens, honey. We do what we need to survive." Mania's father put a hand on her shoulder as she wiped her tears away. "Listen, I'll give you the day off tomorrow, okay? But, be prepared to start back up with your training the day after." Mania nodded and pushed away her father's hand. She walked upstairs to her room and closed the door. She pulled out an old worn-down journal from the drawer near her bed and started writing.

"Daddy took us to the Black Market again today. We were just about to start training when I saw a little deer when the door opened. He looked terrified when the grown-ups were walking towards him. But then he put a knife to his neck and started running towards the grown-ups. Was it wrong to run towards him to save him? He looked stuck and scared and I..." She stopped writing as tears ran down her face. She wiped them away and wrote, "Daddy said to act like an Omnivore but... Is being an Omnivore a good thing when you eat a kid who didn't live a full life yet...? Am I a good Omnivore for thinking about this...? I just hope who took him away from the room is taking care of him... I hope he's okay."

To have so much pressure being put onto a four-year-old, it was hard, for all the kids in Mania's family. Remembering back on that day, wishing the boy would be alright, wishing that she would've saved him, but still feeling the heavy weight of her dad and what she was supposed to be by her sides and memory. She wishes to change all of this. So that way, that little boy or any animal under the age of twenty can still live their best lives without thinking that they would be devoured in an instant. But, what she doesn't know, was that things were about to change and she would finally know who the frightened, but bold deer, and the tall, firm stag was.