Crash

It's 25 minutes later when Don still hasn't arrived. Once again, I'm worried. I knew I can't call at home because he already left and he doesn't have a phone. He says they are too big and noisy and would just annoy him. Besides, why should he get one when we have a landline? I thought about it and he got a point so I still don't have a phone either. All I can do, is wait. Then there is finally a knock. I jump up and rush to the door. „Don! I'm so gl-„ I stop mid-sentence when Dr. James instead of Don is on the door. „Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you are Don. He said he would be here 10 minutes ago but he st-„
„Mrs. Gummer, I need you to come with me" he says in a serious tone. I don't like it.
„Why? What about Mamie?" I turn around. She is sleeping in her crib.
„I'll call a nurse who'll stay with her. Please, come with me"
„Call a nurse first. I'll wait here until she arrives and I know my baby won't be alone." I say in a demanding voice. I even straightened my back to look bigger. I never do that but I like it. Makes me feel more powerful.
„Of course, I understand" he reaches inside his white coat and gets his pager out. An almost silent *beep* sounds and within a minute a nurse comes around the corner. I move out the way so she can get inside and follow Dr. James.
„What is it? Where are we going?" I ask, now more annoyed than concerned. „Just tell me!" I'm already out of breath and I struggle to keep up with him.
„Your husband. He's in ER. He had a car accident" he says in a monotone voice. I stop. I feel my face getting pale, everything gets blurry, breathing gets harder. He keeps walking and doesn't realize first I'm not following him anymore. Eventually he does and rushes back, holding my arm and hand to support me. We slowly walk to a pair of chairs. I sit down, my eyesight getting clearer again. „What happened? Is he okay? Will he..." I can't get myself to say it. Tears are now streaming down my face. Dr. James doesn't say anything for a few second. „TELL ME! Please, I can't lose him too. I can't get through thus again" I'm a sobbing mess. „He will be okay, he was lucky, got away with only a cut. He needs stitches and the nurses are just running some tests." Dr. James reassures me while rubbing my back. „I need you to keep walking and come with me. We can take the elevator." he says know with his friendly and empathetic voice again. I wipe my tears away, gather my thoughts and try to focus. He is right, I need to go to Don. And Dr. James said he will be fine so he will be. He has to be. My mind drifts off again to John again and I can feel my eyes getting watery again. No, not now. I get myself together and stand up. „Alright, let's go" I say and walk towards the elevator. We don't exchange a word during our way to the ER. The elevator door opens and I see the grey-ish door, big red letters spelling 'Emergency' above it. Nurses and doctors are rushing in and out. We go through the thick, heavy door. Dr. James looks like he is floating through the busy wing while I almost bump into three people. „Is it always this busy here?" I ask the doctor, dodging two nurses who are rushing into a room with a bed. I only get a quick glance at who's on the bed. It's a man, looks like he's in his fifties, he's pale and really thin looking. He's lying on his side, facing me. His eyes look empty, his face has no expression. Memories are coming back and I shiver. „No, but there was a bus that slid down a hill. 50 people were in it. Most of them are still alive but unstable. We are the nearest hospital so they got rushed to us in ambulances and helicopters." He says it as if it's the most normal thing that happens. We finally stop in front of a turquoise curtain. „We are here" he says and pulls the curtain aside. I see Don sitting on the bed, a nurse cleaning his cut while he's holding something that looks like an icebag in his cheek. „Mary!" he exclaims when he sees me. „Oh darling, are you okay? What happened? Oh I'm so glad you're okay. Ish." I add after a shor pause. The nurse steps away so we can greet each other. I kiss him on his cheek on which he responds with an „Ow!" I grab his face with my hands and rest my forehead on his. „I love you so much" I whisper. „I love you too"

Gummer Family LifeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara