Chapter Eleven: Resurrected

Start from the beginning

"But then how do you punish the ones who have been evil?"

"Don't you think the guilt and knowledge of their wicked deeds is good enough? We're all equal as humans. We all share the same knowledge of what is right and wrong. If we do something wrong, we know, deep in our hearts what we've done. The pain and suffering of knowing something that others don't know that isn't right is worse than being punished by any other physical pain."

"I guess you're right, then..." I murmured.

A flock of geese flew overhead, and I watched for a moment as their wings up and down, pushing against the hazy blue sky.

"What do I do now, then? Now that I'm... dead..." my eyes widened. "But the world is still in danger! What's Amelie going to do now?!"

It was as if someone had flipped a switch on me. I stood straighter with a brighter fire burning in my eyes.

"I have to go back!" I cried, spinning around to face Esme. She looked me square in the eye.

"I can't let Amelie take over! I have to go back to my parents, and the band, and Laura and Z-Zander!" I stumbled over his name, gulping down the wave of emotions that had come up. "Please... You have to let me go back..."

"But how would you plan on defeating Amelie?" asked Esme calmly, as if they were just old friends chatting with drinks in their hands.

"W...well, I don't know! Why don't you tell me! Surely you know something!" I said desperately.

"Well... One thing you should know about Amelie is that her destiny is a written one, unlike yours." her voice was still so calm.

"Laura told me that."

"Did she?" Esme seemed surprised at this.

"Yeah... But, I don't get it! What is it supposed to mean?"

Esme fell silent, and when she spoke again, her voice was barely a whisper.

"Remember when I told you the story of how I wrote my destiny, and dragged Amelie into the story with me? Well, the mistake I made was that it wasn't just me who had a written destiny. Amelie had one too.

"I didn't realize just how powerful the book was until later. But the book could let you not only write the destiny of yourself, but also of other people.

"It explains just why Amelie wanted it so bad... And now... I blame myself.

"I blame myself for creating a path for Amelie when she should've lived her life by her own ways and by her own rules. Instead, I made her tag along with me in my own life story. Maybe that's the reason why she turned out to be so cruel..."

"But couldn't she free herself from the destiny? Just earlier today, Hailey told me that it's up to the person to decide their destiny! Not the book!" I said.

"Do you really think Amelie would take initiative to do such a thing?" Esme let out a hollow laugh. "She seems brave and all, but she was always a follower. And now, she's following the destiny I wrote for her."

I struggled to find the right words. "But... The story was unfinished. You both had to have let go of the destiny! There's no end to the story... so nothing else for the book to decide your destiny. You both freed yourselves, didn't you?"

Esme sighed. "You see... even the book itself knows that destinies are meant to be lived alone, not written. It will only carry out a full lifetime of someone if that person finishes the story.

"But if you were to write an unfinished story... The book would let you carry out your own destiny by yourself.

"That's how Amelie found me in the ordinary world where we killed each other. But Amelie only chose to live her own destiny after the book reached its unfinished point. I let go of my written destiny way before that. But she decided to follow it till the very end, and would only let go of her written commands when the book forced her to.