« twenty-seven »

Start from the beginning

Picking up the younger male bridals tyle, they headed downstairs into the living room. They all sat down.

"So what should we do?" Renjun asked. He tried to hold back his smile as he watched Jaemin rest his head on Jeno's lap and stretch out his legs while Jeno stroked his hair.

"I'm still confused," Jisung suddenly said. "Why wasn't dad at the competition?"

"That's the thing, we aren't sure either," replied Renjun.

"The stage was a week ago," stated Jeno. "But your dad and Jaehyun were close even before that. That's what the guy there said."

"We can see the stage performance if you set up the TV," suggested Jaemin.

Leaping up from the red bean bag, Jisung set up the TV and handed the remote to Jeno. They scrolled through every performance they could lay their eyes on, watching them in complete silence.

"Don't you find it a bit suspicious though?"

Everyone turned to face Renjun.

"I mean, he's been missing dance practice the same days Jaehyun Hyung has. And you saw the photoshoot they had. They looked like a married couple."

The clock struck midnight as they were all in deep conversation regarding Taeyong and Jaehyun. The silence broke as they heard the front door open.

"Dad!" shouted Jisung, which was followed by someone loudly going "SHHHH!"

"Jisung, who is it?" Jaemin asked. He got up with the help of Jeno, and the three stared at the door, waiting to see who entered the house.

At the living room door stood Jaehyun, holding a wasted Taeyong with red cheeks in his arms. Lost for words, Jaemin tried to form a sentence while flailing his arms around, which failed miserably. They moved and made space for Jaehyun, who sat down with Taeyong's head resting against his chest, looking like a baby.

"Explain. Please. Now," was all Jaemin could utter.

The male took a deep breath. "I suggested we went to the bar for a drink and I promised we would come back early. Turns out he wanted to go to the karaoke room afterwards. And of course, I couldn't say no, so we went. We danced and Taeyong never told me had a low tolerance so he got drunk after one bottle of soju and kept drinking. Then he started saying weird stuff and dancing, before collapsing in my arms."

"Why at the bar in the first place? Dad normally doesn't drink unless something good happens," remarked Jaemin.

"Just cause. He told me he hadn't gone since you were born so I thought I might take him and have some fun."

An awkward silence stirred in the room. Jaemin's eyes were fixed on Taeyong, watching him cuddle up to Jaehyun, gentle snores escaping from him. It was only when he squinted his eyes he noticed the light tear stains on his face.

"Did dad cry by any chance?"

Jaehyun looked guiltily at the male sleeping peacefully in his arms before speaking. "While he was drunk, he told me how hard he found it to raise you and Jisung all alone. He felt guilty for not knowing about anything that was happening to you so he ended up bursting in tears."