"Carry her to my house, Abe." Ryker looked at his brother.

Abraham nodded before taking Mary from Ryker's arms. He watched Abraham carried her away before turning his attention to the scene.

Bruno and Gary appeared in front of him. Each wearing a grim look on their face. Ryker noticed Gary was carrying something. When his eyes landed on the red tinted gasoline containers.

"I found several of these at the edge of the woods," Gary stated. "There were also footprints. If I could guess it correctly, two to three people. Two lighter in build and one who is heavier. One set of footprints has a heavier set of prints on the ground."

"They fled...." Ryker murmured more to himself, "which means that they didn't have time to cover their tracks... someone caught them."

"It must be those damn juveniles! They are always causing trouble. They must have-" Bruno stopped when he saw Ryker shake his head in disagreement.

"No, it's not them. They are rule breakers, but they won't go this far," Ryker argued.

"It has to be them. Those pesky little brats don't care about the pack. They just want to have fun," Bruno combated. "We shouldn't allow them to act this way."

Ryker had recently taken in a group of rebellious juveniles. They were rule breakers and acted tough around everybody, but those were simple disobedience. They wouldn't dare go as far as harming others, and Ryker knew that thoroughly.

Ryker agreed with Bruno. They shouldn't act this way, but Ryker could see himself in the group of juveniles. They were lost and so afraid of acceptance. Their only shield of protection was to pretend that this new life meant nothing to them. When they truthfully sought something more than fear and sorrow.

People who migrated to his pack always sought more.

"Alpha Ryker."

Ryker turned to see Clarence. Clarence was an elder pack member that lived in the packhouse. He had no children or mate. Mainly spends most of his time minding his own business. However, Ryker valued his opinions very much. Clarence was once a council member from another pack until he moved away.

"May I have a moment of your time?" Clarence looked at Bruno and then at Gary.

Ryker dismissed them before turning to look at Clarence. A few members have slinked forward. They all looked tired and worn from trying to put out the fire.

"Do you know what happened?" Clarence was the first one to ask.

Ryker shook his head. "I wish I had the answers for you all, but I don't right now."

Some of them nodded in understanding.

"I apologize greatly. I wished I could give you all answers, but there isn't. I have failed in protecting you-"

"Ah, you do not need to explain yourself, Alpha. We know you do everything you can to provide for us," Clarence interrupted with a wave of his hand.

"Many people were injured," Ryker argued, feeling the guilt of not be able to save them all.

"Yes, people were injured, but our lives are not in your hands, Alpha. Life happens. Death happens. Our lives are our own to save and you have saved us. We can never thank you enough. Do not think too hard on this."

The few people that had wandered over nodded in agreement, but Ryker knew that even if some believe so. Others wouldn't.

"Is the female okay?" someone asked, changing the subject entirely.