Chapter 20: Blood in the Water

Start from the beginning

"You don't mean that Kion is going to use your staff to speak with Scar, do you?" Nala asked fearfully.

The mandrill shook his head. "No, it is not dat, Kion can talk to de lions of the past naturally, even de evil ones. But de Outsiders cannot, and wit my Bakora Staff, dey can use it to resurrect Scar's spirit in de volcano. If de staff is thrown into de lava, and Kion uses his roar, Scar will live once again, but only in flame."

"But Kion wouldn't bring back the worst lion to ever live in the Pride Lands, right?" Kiara asked rhetorically with a nervous chuckle.

"Dat, I am not so sure of, I will listen to de lions of the past, dey will tell me if Scar returns or not," Rafiki replied with a slight bow before exiting the den.

The princess and queen exchanged fearful expressions. They didn't want to believe that Kion would even think about reviving Scar, and here they were, worrying about it right now.

"So what's next?" Kiara asked quietly.

"I don't know, Kiara. But we can only hope for the best," the queen replied.

———————————————————————————

Kion moved slowly into the empty volcano, his paws padded quietly on the warm stone. Scar had summoned him to come alone, but he already knew what the lion of fire was going to say.

He wandered over to the small outcropping that jutted over the lava and waited. Shortly after, the lava began to bubble and steam began to rise. Outshot a large flame, and there was Scar.

"Kion, it is good to see you," Scar's voice boomed as he smiled. "I assume you are doing well, you and Vitani?"

"Of course," Kion replied with a nod.

"Good, everyone deserves to be happy," Scar stated. "Well, almost everyone deserves to be happy, if you catch my drift."

"Simba," Kion growled.

"Precisely, he deserves a fate worse than death, for the pain he caused to both us. But sadly death is all we can offer," Scar replied with fake sadness.

"So what do we do?"

"It's quite simple, we set an example to anyone who follows  and supports Simba. I assume you've heard talk of the plan?"

"I have Scar, Kasi and Vitani told me."

"I assumed so, then I have no need to explain it to you. Go, use your hate, your anger, your pain. Let them consume you and use them to fuel your will, and your resolve. Return here once it is done, there will be much to do."

"Yes, Scar," Kion replied with a bow before exiting the volcano. Conveniently, his reverse Lion Guard, or Scar's Guard as dubbed Scar himself, were all waiting outside for him, except for Kovu who had been removed from the group by Zira for an unknown reason.

"Are we ready?" Kion asked the group. They all confirmed their status with a simple nod. "Then there's no time to waste."

Scar's Guard exited the Outlands and into the Back Lands, Makucha had already agreed to let them pass through peacefully, but only because of the deal they struck.

It was a mostly silent walk, no one felt good about what they were going to do, but no one was going to voice their doubts or opinions. It had to be done though, on that they all agreed.

As they walked, Kion continuously replayed his past moments where his father had done unspeakable things to him. He could feel as his blood began to boil at the thought that anyone could think he was a king worth of respect or praise.

But all that was going to change, everyone would see the blood in the water.

(Kion)

Look me in my eyes
Tell me everything's not fine
Oh the subjects ain't happy
And the river has run dry
You thought you could go free
But the system is done for
If you listen real closely
There's a knock at your front door

We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
What you gon' do
When there's blood in the water?
The price of your greed
Is your son and your daughter
What you gon' do
When there's blood in the water?

Beg me for mercy
Admit you were toxic
You poisoned me just 'cuz
The crazy fear in your logic
Now I am the violence
I am the sickness
Won't accept your silence
Beg me for forgiveness

We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
What you gon' do
When there's blood in the water?
The price of your greed
Is your son and your daughter
What you gon' do
When there's blood in the water?

They trekked up a small hill and looked down at the valley below them, the valley where Scar had sent them. Kion took a deep breath and motioned for the group to follow them.

They did not try to hide their presence, that wasn't the plan. They wanted to be seen by everyone.

They had done just what they planned, they had attracted the attention of the entire herd of animals that lived in the valley. It wasn't long before their queen had come to meet them with her royal escort.

"Scar's Guard, I give you the queen of this watering hole, Dhahabu, the golden zebra," Kion mocked with a sarcastic bow.

"Outsiders are not welcome here, Kion. Neither are you, especially after you attacked King Simba," Dhahabu firmly replied.

"You weren't even there," Kion growled angrily.

"I trust the word of the King and the Lion Guard. They warned us you might try your luck here, but we are prepared to defend ourselves," the queen replied as the herd of zebras quickly surrounded them.

"You really think you can stop us?" Kion asked as he glared at the golden zebra.

"We outnumber you seven to one, and we've trained for this, King Simba's reign will not be ended by lowlifes like you. Kick and stomp instead of frolic and romp zebra's," she ordered her herd.

All he could hear was Simba's name and the praise that followed it, two things that should never be put together.

"Use your hate, your anger, your pain. Let them consume you and use them to fuel your will, and your resolve." Scar's words echoed in his ears, but this time, he could feel that anger, that hate, that pain. He let it fill him up like water, and allowed it to take control of him.

"Vitani, how many animals does it take to deliver a message?" He asked in an ice cold tone.

She smiled as she responded. "Only one."

"Leave the queen, she will be the one to deliver the message," Kion instructed.

"And the rest?" Kasi asked rhetorically.

"They will BE the message!"