Chapter One: London Potter

I woke with a start. It's the same every morning. Ashley, the mean girl, smacks me in the face with a pillow. Why you ask? I have know idea, she just hates me. Apart from her posse, she bullies everyone. I'm not scared of her though. She's just a insecure girl, and I like to make sure she gets what she deserves.

My name is London Potter and I'm an orphan. On October 31st I was dropped at Paddington St girls orphanage, and I've been here ever since. To pass the time, I enjoy playing jokes, or pranks on Ashley and her goons. I'm not sure how I do it though. Don't tell anyone, but I think I have magic. I create substances from thin air. The best part is that Ashley has no idea that it's me.

Today is July 30th and tomorrow is my birthday. I've never had a proper cake or gift, Ashley just uses it as an excuse to hurt me more. But I'm strong, and I'm used to it. So every time she hurts me, I play a prank. I wonder what it's gonna be this time?

I get out of bed and get dressed. I pull on some old, second hand, skin tight jeans, a Aqua turtle neck knitted jumper that's long at the back and short at the front, some socks and white vans. As I walk down stairs and into the kitchen I start thinking about tomorrow. I'm going to be turning 11. My only wish is to find out what happened to my parents and if their still alive, if they care about me. I walk into the kitchen and over to the cook, Silvia. I usually help her make breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"This came in the post for you dear," Silvia says as she hands me a letter. The envelope looks tea stained and the ink is green. I turn it over and find a wax seal on the back. To Miss London Potter, Third Room, Second Floor, 3 Paddington St, London. How strange. How would these people know which room I sleep in. This is weird. Once again I flip over the envelope and pull off the seal.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)
by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic
by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory
by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration
by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi
by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions
by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection
by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set of brass scales

Students, may also bring, if they desire, either an owl OR a cat OR a toad.
PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS AREN'T ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK.

Holy, Fudge. This can't be real. But then again, that would explain a lot. How I'm able to conjure up equipment to prank Ashley. Or when my emotions are really strong, things that I can't explain start to happen. The light flickers, objects start flying around everywhere. But no. This can't be real. I was so sure that I was just hallucinating. " I think you should come with me," Silvia says as she finishes breakfast. I follow her out to the garden and we stop in a small pavilion surrounded by lilies of all colours. Lilies have always been my favourite flower. I don't know why, they just are.

" I suppose your wondering if that letter is real or not," Silvia begins. " It is," I can't wipe the amazed look of my face.

" Me, I can't be a witch. I'm just London. That's it, just London. " I didn't know what else to say. " Because you know, Miss, could you tell me about my past. I know you know. Are my parents alive? Do I have any family? And what about my dreams, what do they mean?" I burst out. I need answers.

" I don't know how to tell you this. London, your parents were murdered. What you need to understand is not all wizards are good, some of them go bad. A few years ago one of them went as bad as you can go. His name was Voldermort. You have to understand that these were dark times London, very dark times."

" He's the one who gave me this, isn't he?" I say, pulling my side fringe away from my face, showing my lightning bolt scar.

" Yes, the night your parents were murdered, Voldermort tried to kill you and Harry."

" Who's Harry?" I ask, interrupting.

" Harry's your twin brother dear. You both look the same, down to the last detail. You both have your Dads ebony hair, fair skin and your Mums vibrant green eyes. You even have the same scar in the same place," She concludes. " Anyway, when he tried to kill you, the spell rebounded. It reflected from your face to Harry's then back at Voldermort. It didn't kill you both because of the blood running through your veins. Lily's blood holds love, but Voldermort is incapable of love. He met his downfall that night. Some say he died, but I think he's still out there, to tired to carry on. From that day forward , you have been known as 'The Girl Who Lived'. Your famous London, there isn't a witch or wizard who doesn't know your name," Wow, this is a lot to take in. I'm a witch. My parents were murdered. I'm famous and I have a twin.

" Thank you Silvia, I will be in my bedroom if you need me," I say walking away.

I lay on my bed, I only left my room to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I keep reading my letter over and over, hoping for answers. Where's my brother? What's he like? Would he like me? So many questions and no one to answer them. That is the only thought on my mind as I drift of to sleep.

There's screaming, a woman's screaming, and a green light. Then it all goes black. An alarm wakes me. 11:50 pm. I get out of bed and walk down to the pavilion, still dressed in today's clothes. I pull my waist length ebony hair into a high ponytail and sit down.

The wind kisses my cheeks as I absentmindedly draw on the dusty floor. I look down. I've drawn a messy looking birthday cake, after all, art has never been my strong point. I'm more of the sporty type. I wonder what type Harry is. Does he play an instrument? Does he play sports? What if he does neither? What if he is a fat slob? My watch beeps. It's midnight. " Make a wish London." I say to myself.