Part 32

"Allie!" someone said, shaking me awake.
"What?" I groaned, rolling over.
"It's Bryce," Addison said, her voice catching in her throat.
I shot up out of the bed. "What happened?"
"Josh called. They're in the hospital. Bryce tried to drive. He knows better than to drive when he's been drinking. Why would he have tried to drive?" she asked, hysterical.

I was already shaking Griffin awake. "We have to go. Right now. There was an accident."
Griffin got out of bed, pulling joggers and a hoodie on. "You ladies ready?"
"I have to- I have to call Nessa and- and Mads," Addison stammered.
"I'll take care of it, Addi. Let's go," I said, leading her out of the room and down the stairs behind Griffin.
Griffin climbed into the front seat, and I slid in the back next to Addison. She was breathing erratically, and I was worried about her.

I called Josh first. "Josh?"
"Yes, Allie?"
"Oh, thank God. I know that you already talked to Addison, but she's in shock, I think. I need you to repeat it all to me."
He sighed. "Bryce tried to drive. He swore that he was fine. He said he only had one drink. Jaden and I didn't think anything of it, and then suddenly, we hit a telephone pole," he explained.
"Did you call Nessa and Mads?" I asked.
"Yes. Nessa is picking up Mads, and they're both on the way here," he answered.
"Is everyone okay?"
"They think that Jaden broke his wrist, and I needed some stitches. Bryce is getting tested for a concussion, and he needs some stitches on his face. Other than that, I think we're all gonna be fine."
"We're on our way, Josh, okay? We're about five minutes out," I replied, hanging up.

Josh looked at me in the rearview mirror, and I nodded. We pulled into the hospital parking lot, and Addison swung the car door open, running towards the hospital.
When Griffin and I got inside, Addison was speaking quickly at the front desk. "No, I'm not his mother. His mother lives across the country. I'm his girlfriend. Please. He's got no one else here."
"Addi, stay calm, please," I said, wrapping my arms around her and guiding her away from the desk while Griffin spoke to the nurse.
We sat in the waiting area, and tears flowed steadily down Addison's face. "Shh. It's gonna be okay," I comforted her.
Griffin came over to us. "Alright, Addi. I talked to the nurse. We're gonna wait here for Nessa and Mads, and then we're gonna head back to see them, okay?"

He sat down next to us, and I could feel Addison shaking. I couldn't imagine being in her position, and I felt guilty to be grateful that I wasn't in her position.
Nessa and Mads walked in, searching for us, and Addison jumped up. "It's time to go see them. We have to go see them."
Griffin stood up, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Stay calm. We'll go now, okay?"

A nurse led us down the hallway, stopping in front of the first door. "This is, um, Jaden Hossler. You guys can go in. The next two rooms are your other friends. Please come see me before you head into Bryce's room."
I could tell that Addison was still anxious, but she didn't speak as we entered Jaden's room. "Hey, guys," he chuckled. "I broke my wrist."
I picked up his chart, flipping through it. "They gave him some pain meds. It's just the broken wrist. He's going to be fine."
"Thank God for Nurse Allie," Jaden said, laughing again. "Did you see Josh yet? He got stitches all up his arm."
"You can't leave yet, so I'm gonna go ahead and stay with you while they go visit Bryce and Josh, okay?" Mads said, sitting down on the bed next to him.

We left them in the room, heading over to Josh's room. "Finally! What took you guys so long? My phone died, like, twenty minutes ago. I've been bored out of my mind."
"It's a long story, babe," Nessa said, kissing him. "What are the extents of your injuries?"
"It was just the stitches, so they didn't give me any pain meds. I think that I'm okay. I don't know. One of the Nurse Johnsons needs to find my chart and give it a good flip through, eh?" he responded, causing the room to erupt in laughter.
Griffin flipped through it. "You're right. Just the stitches. I'm gonna go find the nurse. She said not to see Bryce before we saw her."

Addison was still shaking next to me. "What if there's something seriously wrong with him?" she asked.
"I'm sure that everything is going to be okay, Addi," I replied, trying to comfort her.
"But-" she began.
"No 'but's.' We aren't going to freak out over anything until we absolutely need to, okay?" I interrupted.

The nurse appeared in the doorway with Griffin. "Alright, we're going to go ahead and see Mr. Hall now, okay? I need you to stay calm and try not to overwhelm him. He's gone through serious head trauma."
Addison sighed. "Okay. I'll stay calm." We went next door, and Addison stopped short in the doorway. "I'm nervous. What if everything isn't okay?"
"It's gonna be fine. Let's just go in," I said, giving her the metaphorical and literal push into the room.
"Bryce," she said breathlessly. "Oh, thank God."
He looked up at her. "Addi, I'm so sorry."
"What were you thinking?" she asked.
"I wasn't. I wanted to get home to you, Addison," he replied, groaning.

Griffin and I left the room, leaving them to talk. "I don't know when you became the responsible one of the group, but I can't believe that he decided to drink and drive," I said, wrapping my arms around him.
"I told the nurse not to say anything to Addison because I don't want her to freak out," he replied, pulling my arms off of him.
"What?" I asked.
Griffin looked at me. "The doctor thinks that he could develop a form of short-term amnesia. They aren't sure because of the role that alcohol played in the accident, but they're worried about him."