The Normal One :- Chapter Two

Sandy was surprised when she walked into her first class, because the second call hadn't gone over the PA yet signifying the commencement of classes. She had arrived two minutes early expecting to make a good impression on the teacher, but everyone was already in class and furthermore were studying.

A blush ran over her face as everyone stopped from delving into their books or using laptops to stare.

More than a few gave her a look of disapproval as they checked the time on their phones. She checked her watch and confirmed she was early. "Sorry, everyone."

"Don't worry," Natsuo remarked, but it wasn't to Sandy. "She's normal. Thats why she is here 'late'."

"Bah, normal people arriving late, bah." Apurval seemed livid with hate.

Smiley sniggered and then went back to his books.

Sandy could only see one spare seat, and it was next to the gay Amish boy, Jim. As she sat down next to him Jim looked over to her and for a moment she was lost in his dashing blue eyes and perfect black locks. He thought for a second before writing something on a peice of paper and passing it to her.

"Red highlights with more bouncy curls, blue is not your colour, and who did your make up? Girl you need to see me straight after class."

Sandy didn't know how to react. Eventually she nodded and Jim simply resumed reading his book.

The sound of clinking chains was heard behind her. It was Smokey, and he was doing a hand stand with his feet being supported by the wall. As he held himself up with one hand Sandy saw him looking through the most unusual school bag she had ever seen before.

It was made of chains, and by the sound of it, real chains. From it he pulled out a dumbell and, still in his unusual position he read from a book laid out beneath his head.

Lifting weights.

Handstand push ups.

And reading a book.

Now that was weird.

As she sighed and looked around her she caught sight of a group of very large girls in the back corner, dressed in tracksuits and all reading as well. When one of them caught her staring, she saw her put a finger to her neck and make the universal action of "your dead."

She turned back to face the front of the class, slightly shocked, and then realised there was no teacher in the room.

All of these kids were teaching......themselves?

The PA buzzed the second call, a crow, to signify the official start of the period and a door behind then opened up. It was a middle aged lady in a wheelchair. No one said anything as she continued to roll up to the front. She dressed not unlike a grandmother and her thick rimmed glasses could not hide the fact she was very tired.

Sandy felt sorry for her and wondered what disability she had until she stood up, walked to the cupboard, pulled out a pillow, made several adjustments to her "wheelchair" so it became what seemed a very comfortable bed, and promptly fell asleep.

No one seemed pertubed in the slightest by the strangness of it all.

As Sandy noticed everyone was reading different things Jim tapped a note on the desk. It read "Don't tell me you didn't bring anything to read for reading class......"

Sandy took her pen from her school bag and wrote back to Jim "I did not know I had to bring something to read......"

Jim shook his head upon reading it and replied after a moment of scribbling. "This is reading class. Everyone brings in what they enjoy reading. The girls up the back are all wrestlers or boxers and so bring in books that help them to become good at that. Smokey up the back only reads the best fitness manuals in the world. Natsuo reads only the best computer graphics manuals as he designs video games, and I read this...."

Jim showed the cover of the book he was reading and smiled proudly. "Hairstyles from The Revitalist Expressionism Of Pre Revolutionary France :- Rheims Edition" He turned the book over to show the summary. "Be fully prepared in the event of a retro pubic wig fad. Detailing methods of pubic hair extraction, processing and application in the modern era."

Sandy was perplexed and replied that she only had a magazine of Cleo in her bag, which made Jim gasp loudly. "Low brow, so gullible, what a shame..... Here read this before your seen with that magazine and become a bullying target." he wrote back.

It was a thick book entitled "Post Modern Secularist Fashions :- How To Dress Like A Real Atheist With Zero Religious References." as she opened the book she immediately saw a picture of a male model wearing a shirt that said "Jesus wears a robe" and that was all he wore. No pants. No underwear. Just a T-Shirt.

Shocked she turned the page and saw a male model wearing a shirt that said "The Pope Can Kiss This" and a line of arrows pointing towards his crotch area. Again no pants. Just everything open to view.

As she held her breath and kept turning the pages she realised it was full of similar pictures, not one of the models wearing pants!

Jim taps her on the shoulder and hands over another note.

"Don't tell me your offended by gratuitous sex! My dear, Fashion exists to make the naked body sexy!"

When Sandy look back at him confused he sighed and wrote back "Some will say its to keep you warm, or to announce who you are. That is so 20th century! My dear, Fashion Equals Sex! That is why I am so successful as a fashion designer! My goal is to make men get a boner and make women"

Sandy could not continue to read the note. She tried to read the text in the book but could not keep her eyes off the pictures, the text just kept mentioning sexual words! "You will note the model to the right has a full erection. This therefore provides context to the writing on the shirt. It's too hard to love God..."

She slammed the book closed and everyone stopped what they were doing and stared back at her.

The middle aged woman who was apparently the teacher was awoken by the book being slammed shut, and in visible anger at being awoken walked over to see what the fuss was all about.

"You awaken me by slamming a book shut so loudly?!?" As the teacher took the book and skimmed through the pages her expression changed from shocked to faking being shocked. "I shall confiscate this book from you because you woke me up!" Then she walked back to her impromptu wheelchair bed, poring over the pictures in it, her apparent sleepiness suddenly gone.

"Thanks alot," Jim whispered to Sandy. "You owe me."

Sandy was overwhelmed by everything but assured herself the next class would not be so weird. After all, she got an A plus for science in her last school.........