“A top scorer? Rong Ting mused thoughtfully. “That is quite amazing.”

“This sort of top scorer should be different from the top scorer from the ancient times5.” Song Yuan had previously read novels that illustrated how difficult the imperial examinations were. She tapped her chin. “Your ancient time’s top scorer is the nation’s number one. Xuezhang was the province’s number one. There’s a difference between that of the province and the country.”

“Oh.” Rong Ting gave Song Yuan another glance and seized the opportunity6 to boast7 of his Father Emperor. “Then that means he is not as good as Father Emperor. Our top scorers are not as amazing as Father Emperor.”

After saying this, he knew he had touched a minefield. He immediately slipped away8 and fled to the bathroom.

Song Yuan: “…”

This kid.

Very soon it was the day of the party. Rong Ting had invited three buddies, whose mothers brought them over early in the morning.

These mothers were very polite. All of them brought over milk and fruit, making it seem as though they were truly guests9.

Song Yuan was somewhat embarrassed. After twenty-something years, she finally spoke those famous words for the first time: “You should have just come; you didn’t need to buy anything.”

“It’s for your Rong Ting to eat.”

“That’s right, that’s right, it’s for Rong Ting.”

Originally, Song Yuan had planned to eat with these mothers, as well, but they all had things. One of the mothers tugged her hair. “I finally was able to get the kid out of the way, so I made an appointment with my Tony laoshi10 to dye and do my hair.”

“Alright, then come over for dinner in the afternoon,” Song Yuan generously offered. “I bought a lot of food, and the auntie’s very skilled. Let the children play together in the afternoon. How about coming over for dinner when you are done?”

The mothers had no objections. They were also getting along very well now.

Song Yuan had also brought Rong Ting to their houses to freeload a meal.

After the mothers left, Song Yuan looked at the lively and cheerful boys, then at Rong Ting who stood in the center with a rare relaxed expression on his face. She immediately felt at ease, and she said to the children, “We have Lego at home, and I also bought a TV subscription, so you can watch any movie you’d like. We have some sci-fi movies you like, and I bought Monopoly, which you can also play.”

The children cheered, clearly immensely satisfied with these arrangements.

“You can eat any of the fruit on the table. Gugu, there are potato chips, seaweed snacks, and Yakult in the cabinet. You know where they are.” Song Yuan spread her hands. “Auntie will make french fries today. I’ll call you when they are done. I’m going out now to get the cake. Do you guys want pizza? If you do, I’ll also buy that on the way.”

“Want want want!”

“Auntie, I want to eat! I want to eat pizza!”