Chapter 1

The mall is the absolute worst place for studying, Himawari Ito thought angrily as she zoomed in on photos of her notes on her phone. She hated that she hadn't had a choice but to be there. Her best friend, Hina, had literally dragged Himawari out of her room at nine in the morning just to get to some of the sales first. 

It had been five hours since they arrived, and now Himawari sat in the noisy food court, waiting for Hina to get back with food. For a brief second Himawari felt guilty for forcing her to get lunch, but it also seemed so logical: Hina makes her come, knowing she have an important test the next day, so Hina gets to let Himawari study a little bit. 

Himawari was beginning to realize that the food court is actually louder than the rest of the mall. 

All around her there are teenagers chatting, a few children are crying, and at the table right next to hers is an old woman angrily explaining to her daughter that the employees at her favorite clothing store no longer accepted coupons that expired yesterday. 

Jeez. 

The only thing that made her day a little better was that she found a cute bee sweater. She loved bees, thanks to her quirk, which allowed her to communicate with them.

"Sorry I took so long," Hina gushed, pulling Himawari out of her thoughts. She set a tray down on the table and sat across from her friend. "And thanks for coming today!"

Not like I had a choice, Himawari thought darkly, but smiled weakly. "No problem. I'm glad you were able to find some good things. How many more stores do you want to go to?" 

Hina shrugged, choosing to eat her french fries instead of answering. She was a pretty girl with pale green hair who loved to stuff her mouth. Her surprising tomboyish personality is what drew Himawari in in the first place, when her family moved into the house a few down from hers when they were six years old. 

"You want to catch frogs? In a dress?" Himawari stared at her incredulously, a bucket in one hand and a net in the other. Her hair was cut short to be less of a distraction when she was out playing.  

Hina, wearing a frilly yellow dress with an obnoxious bow on the back, nodded proudly."That's right! I love frog hunting! I used to go all the time with my friends!" 

"Were your friends all boys?" Himawari was skeptical and her voice reflected that. She put her net over her shoulder as she spoke. 

"Sure were! And I've got three older brothers!"  Hina held up four fingers. 

Himawari sighed and narrowed her eyes. After a few seconds of analyzing her new friend, she said, "I guess you're cool. Come on, then. My name is Himawari." 

"Ooh that's kinda close to my name!  I'm Hina! Nice to meet you, Hima!" 

"My name is Himawari, not Hima." 

"Whatever you say, Hima!" 

Instead of arguing, Himawari put her phone down and began to eat and do a bit of people watching. Soon her blue eyes were drawn to a group of people her age, arguing and joking. They were obviously good friends, and seemed to have been friends for several years judging from how hey interacted. She realized then that, since graduating from high school, she hadn't really hung out with her own friends. They usually hung out together, but Himawari had opted to study rather than be with them. 

Next to the group was a high school aged couple, who couldn't have been more than 15 or 16 years old, making out. Children. Nothing interesting there. Then there was a young mother, laughing with a friend while she rocked a stroller back and forth. This was probably one of the few times she went out. She constantly glanced back at her baby, and her friend also seemed invested in whatever the child was doing.