"bracelet..."

daniel was confused, of course he would be. what do i need a bracelet for? his question was answered when corbyn hurried over with a pink band, realizing now that he'd probably need one for the experience.

corbyn took his hand, focusing on how corbyn's fingertips pressed against his palm. it surprised him, and he swallowed in memory of the note from leon.

"what a flirt." daniel's fingers wiggled, corbyn's eyes rolling as he tore off the seal of the admission bracelet.

"don't make me regret this, seavey." the backing was caught on corbyn's teeth, seeing how he concentrated on wrapping the paper bracelet around daniel's wrist without making it too tight. when the sticky part was down, they lost all connection, and daniel watched as corbyn picked the paper off his lip and tossed it away with the rest of the wrapper.

"let's get a move on."

corbyn's bug stuff wasn't as stupid as everybody put it out to be.

the kids had came and gone, and the place was dying out. corbyn had been through numerous sections. the arachnida, the phasmids, the insects, and maybe more. daniel could barely keep up, but he found himself strangely interested in it all anyways.

they weren't even taking many notes, it was really a huge field day for corbyn. (it wasn't entirely, though. corbyn had to fight off many natural instincts to keep his guard up, continuously reminding himself how daniel was a stranger.)

"so, what're your thoughts?" corbyn's fingers began to twiddle nervously, small, toothy smile directed at his mother as she buzzed around the building. she was in one door and out the other, and daniel couldn't keep track of how many doors she'd popped out of in the middle of nowhere.

"so, butterflies, bees, scorpions, stick bugs... am i missing anything?"

"ants."

"yes! how could i forget those? they're quite entertaining," daniel hummed, "and we haven't went to the butterfly unit yet."

corbyn nodded his head, grateful that he'd actually been paying attention to him that whole time. it was something different, making his chest shrink and his heart swell and he could barely keep his thoughts straight until he heard daniel mention the butterflies once again.

"seriously?" daniel finally held contact with corbyn's eyes, seeing how his eyelids parted just a little more, pupils widening in excitement. they were practically sparkling, and daniel nodded with an unreadable expression.

it's not like the butterflies are bad, right?

corbyn removed his apron, hanging it up with the rest as he took his backpack. "please be careful, don't— don't hurt any of them?" corbyn tugged his lip under his teeth, excitement chipping away at the thought of daniel deliberately harming a bug.

"of course. why would i want to?"

a breath passed through corbyn's nose, seeing how daniel grabbed his own bag and stared expectantly to follow corbyn. "you'd be surprised."

"woah... it's warm." the room was humid, despite autumn's slow decrease in temperature. by now, it was early november, and that caused daniel to wonder if the insectarium was still open during winter.

corbyn shrugged at that, standing behind daniel as his eyes flickered along the bushes and vines lining the upper walls. some butterflies were in the entrance, but many stayed in the other room. he liked the temperature, it reminded him of summer.

corbyn glanced at daniel, seeing how he crouched in front of the koi pond to stare fondly at the large butterfly sat in a fruit basket. their wings were brown, patterned, and a darkened circle lay on their lower wing, resembling an eye.

"owl butterfly. that's callie."

daniel's head turned, chin jutting up for a second in a short nod. "you know all of them by name?"

as much as corbyn wanted to explain, he only shook his head with a small smile. they didn't name all of them, but it was easy to tell who was who when they had very few of the species.

when corbyn began to walk further into the room, daniel stood to follow slowly. he was cautious of the floor more than anything, praying not to step on any creature nearby.

finally catching a glimpse of corbyn, he could see how one of the butterflies had crawled along his backpack, another having caught his attention.

it was probably the first time he'd seen a smile on corbyn's face, seeing the pure joy that painted his features as it appeared that he could overpower the sun's energy. he was practically glowing.

the thought could barely process, in mere seconds corbyn had glanced in his direction and caught how daniel stared blankly at him, smile dropping with a forced cough.

"let's uhm... let's get to work."

EXTRA NOTES
-two tests down two to go 😼

-i'm so excited for the weekend i stg i need to
catch up on these chapters or it'll be over my
head😔🤚

-n e ways i'm going to bed so here's this kyootie 😌