49. Everything but Us

Start from the beginning

I wipe at my eyes and look at my knees. It is then when Brian sits next to me. He is hesitant as he hugs me, but I don't push him away. Instead, I circle his neck with my slightly cold arms and seek his lips, kissing him hard as soon as my mouth is on his.

"I want you," I whisper, edging forward to make sure our bodies touch.

Brian stills and rests his warm palms on my cheeks. "No, Kitten, you don't."

"I do."

"I'm not going anywhere, and we have time. And you can be mad, but I'm not letting you solve the issues with sex, even if it's with me. I've done it enough times to know it won't help. It might distract you, but you will feel just as shitty after, and I would hate that for our second time together."

I nod and let Brian hug me as I sit between his bent legs.

"Why didn't she give him a chance?" I say into the warm, salty air. "If not for her, for me. It's not about money. It's about me having a family and a dad who probably cared."

"I don't know, babe," Brian answers. "People make shitty choices. Some way shittier than others. It sucks when kids are involved. It wasn't your fault, and you deserved better than the crappy childhood you were forced to have. I'm not the best person to talk about it because I was a happy, careless kid. My parents made sure Jim and I had it all, and you've met my family, so you know the way we are. But you know what? Now you have the O'Briens, and that has to make everything a bit better, right?"

I give Brian a small but genuine smile and let him embrace me tighter. We stare off into the distance, at the vast sea and infinite sky, sitting on the deserted beach till sunset.

Brian helps me up and kisses my hand before lacing his fingers with mine as we walk to the cabin.

"We have some liqueur," says Brian. "And food."

"Sounds like a plan."

"But the boy isn't touching your girl if you're buzzed, so drink wisely."

I halt and pretend to be looking for something around me. "Hello? Has anyone seen my walking cliche, bad boy boyfriend? The one with tattoos, muscles, and his big, pierced boy?"

"Walking cliche? Give me that ass, Kitten."

Brian grabs me by the waist and lifts me easily, throwing me over his shoulder as he keeps on walking. I wiggle my butt, and Brian slaps it, laughing while I'm trying to tickle him.

"Easy there, Princess, or the boy will show you who's the boss."

"I am the boss. I say jump, and the boy asks how high."

"Right now, very high, Kitten. Why do you have to be such a turn-on?"

Brian manages to kiss me as he climbs the steps leading to the cabin and puts me down next to the table in the small kitchenette. He's already made some sandwiches, and I help him carry everything to the bedroom we will share.

"You unmade the bed," I say, looking at the white linen.

"Your cliche bad boy boyfriend only thinks about sex, Kitten."

Brian wiggles his brows and takes off his shirt and jeans.

"What are you waiting for? Undress," he says to me.

I do. We are both in our underwear when we get in bed and grab a sandwich each.

"So, by sex, you meant food," I say, taking a bite.

Brian smirks and says nothing while we eat. It goes on for a while, and only after we've eaten everything does he pour the liqueur in shot glasses.