Twenty-Four - Saturdate

Start from the beginning

She huffed a quick 'phew' before fixing her cardigan and skirt. She'd gone very autumnal for the date, excited that she could still catch some of the changing leaves and dress up a little before winter claimed style with its large down coats and sheepskin mittens. She'd gone for a tame mustard top with a rust cord skirt that hit a little above the knee and some warm socks that peaked out of the top of her dark brown leather ankle boots that she wore everyday to school.

Bakugo stepped off of the train while casually putting his earbuds back into their case. He wore a black turtleneck, black chinos and a pair of fashion sneakers that Ren could've sworn were a pair of Yeezys. She'd never have picked Bakugo to be the type...

"I saw you rushing to catch me." He said to her with a mini version of his shit eating grin. "Miss me that much?" He continued walking, signalling for her to follow along.

"In your dreams, Baka." She replied with a little eye roll. "Blame pink, yellow and purple for the delay." Bakugo snorted. "How's Granny B?"

"As Granny B as ever." He shrugged as they exited the station. "She asked about you a lot. I began to wonder why I didn't just send you in my place, she's got a new favourite."

"Aww!" Ren teased. "I don't blame her." She winked at him.

"And how are you?" His tone was still light but there was an air of seriousness to his question.

Ren gnawed on her bottom lip. "I'm... I'm fine. I think for the first time since I can remember I feel kinda... Normal..." She furrowed her brow for a second. "There's just one little thing still bothering me."

"The nomu?" Bakugo raised an eyebrow and glanced at Ren.

"Hm. How'd you guess?"

"Cause it's bothering me too." He turned back to the path before them, shoving his hands in his pockets, his shoulders instinctively arching defensively.

"Why's that?" Ren asked.

"Because like you, I've got a lot of... Unanswered questions..." He muttered before stopping. "This is it." He tilted his head at the store entrance they'd stopped in front of.

"An arcade?" Ren took in the neon lights, the kitschy decor, the bright posters and the constant stream of dings, rings and bongs she couldn't believe she hadn't noticed until right now. "You're into this kind of thing?"

"Yeah, is that a problem?" Bakugo barked defensively.

"Not at all, I've never been. Just surprised... I thought we were going somewhere to eat?" She asked as he lead them through the entrance.

"This is where we're eating. Trust me, their diner is fucking amazing." He stopped in front of an arcade game. It was some kind of side view fighter game. "But first; I get to destroy every game."

They spent the next hour or so hoping from one machine to the next. Every time Bakugo would obliterate the game, making Ren a little nervous to volunteer for any two player games even though she too was competitive.

"I'm sure you've noticed the initials of every high score in all the games we've played so far." Bakugo commented cockily.

Ren chortled. "I certainly have... and Uh.. Games that we've played, hey?" She quirked a brow and gave him a little smirk.

"You're my cheer squad." He answered simply. "Is that a problem?" Bakugo stepped closer to Ren, looming over her intimidatingly. "Why don't you challenge me then?"

"Okay. Pick a game." Ren puffed out her chest and stepped up to Bakugo too, trying to be as intimidating to him and his tall frame as she could.

Bakugo's fiery red eyes scanned the arcade for his favourite two player game. There'd been countless times when his middle school friends had challenged him to this game and sorely lost. He'd even brought Kirishima and Kaminari to this arcade a few times and each time he destroyed them in a match. It was his favourite game because not only did he hold the top score, it was his highest score of any game in the arcade. "That one." He finally said with a little nod towards the game on the far side of the arcade.