HIND SWARAJ

"We measure the universe by our own miserable foot-rule. When we are slaves, we think that the whole universe is enslaved. Because we are in an abject condition, we think that the whole of India is in that condition. As a matter of fact, it is not so, yet it is as well to impute our slavery to the whole of India. But if we bear in mind the above fact, we can see that if we become free, India is free. And in this thought you have a definition of Swaraj. It is Swaraj when we learn to rule ourselves."

- Mahatma Gandhi, Hind Swaraj.

Gandhian concept of self-rule, popularly known as Hind Swaraj or the Indian Home Rule came into light in the early 20th century when India was enslaved under the British Rule. Western Civilization was observed at par exponential growth during the British colonial rule in India. It seemed to have conquered whole of the nation and invaded every aspect of social life. Hence, it exploited the very essence and individuality of the nation. This conception was finally overpowered when Gandhi in 1908, in Hind Swaraj challenged the moral authenticity of British Raj denouncing the false supremacy of Western Civilization.

In the writings, Hind Swaraj is presented as a conversation between Gandhi as The Editor and second man as The Reader who voices the common beliefs and arguments of the time concerning India's independence. Gandhi interjects his views with those of the revolutionaries' and arguments over the validity of the British government and how the west driven culture is hindering the true attainment of Swaraj. In the dialogue that follows, Gandhi argues that 'Home Rule is Self Rule' and mere expulsion of British government from India won't help in the attainment of true Swaraj. Gandhi aborgates the views of the reader when he says that India will be independent after Englishmen leave the nation; while Gandhi was of the opinion that mere exit of Englishmen from India will only take away their physical existence but the roots of the western culture would still be in place, intact. This isn't the Swaraj that he dreamt of. We know this when he says, "India will never be free unless it rejects Western civilization itself." For him, the salvation of India laid in unlearning most of the things she had learned from the British.

Initially, Indian men were made slaves under physical compulsion. Now they were enslaved by enticement towards money and opulence. This is how Western civilization has hegemonized the Indian roots. He further adds, Swaraj is only possible when whole of the nation and every Indian frees themselves from the British-aided equipments in every aspects of social being. These include the trade and dealings, various British policies, education and institutions, British driven organisations, commodities, resources etc. This could only be achieved through passive resistance.

"Real Home Rule is possible only where passive resistance is the guiding force of the people. Any other rule is foreign rule."

To exert passive resistance, Gandhi reasons that Swadeshi be adopted by Indians. Swadeshi means total boycott of foreign goods and complete reliance on indigeneous goods, that is those produced in ones own country. He wanted Indians to hold out against modernization and build a new culture from traditional foundations which can incredibly be called as of ones own nation.

Gandhi says, "The English have not taken India, we have given it to them. They are not in India because of their strength, but because we keep them." He believed that one can be governed as long as one wants to be, the power of being free lies within oneself. Same applies to the nation, when whole of the nation aspires freedom, the process to free themselves begins eventually and the nation is free from slavery. He supports this by giving reference of Japan's Naval victory over Russia. He points out the ineffable unity, patriortism, firm resolution to do or die, of the Japanese which emerges them as victorious. He further adds, when every citizen in Japan, rich or poor, recognized their self-respect, the country became free. He talked about Japan's sense of self-respect and contrasted it with India's state of bondage and resulting lack of self-respect which was a major breakthrough. The need of the hour was to feel spirited and demand freedom as a matter of self-respect.