Interesting question, Karen. More interesting than you know. "I'm heading back to Toronto tomorrow night."

She pouts, then brightens and says, "Well, we have to have coffee first. How about three o'clock at the Starbucks by the mall?"

I freeze. Donna would have no reason to say no to this, from what I can tell, but I certainly do. I'll have to pretend to be Donna, and how am I going to do that? But how can I say no?

Ryan says, "I need to go shopping anyhow so I can drop you off there if you like."

Relieved that he knows where she means and that he obviously thinks it's okay if I go, I say, "Then it's a plan."

Karen stands up. "Perfect. I have to run, but I'll see you there. Have a great day, you two."

Ryan and I say goodbye and chat about nothing while she gets her coffee. Once she's safely gone, I say, "So you told everyone the cover story about some big client?"

He nods.

I wait for more explanation. When it doesn't seem to be forthcoming, I say, "Even my friends? You couldn't tell them the truth?"

He shakes his head. "I had no idea how you'd be coming back, if you'd be coming back, and I wanted to do whatever I could to protect you. You'd had to take off with no notice before, so it's not a big shock to anyone. You can see Karen believed it."

Indeed. And tomorrow, I'll see whether I can make her believe I'm Donna. I don't think I want to pretend forever, but this will be a good test of whether it's even possible.

*****

I walk nervously into Starbucks at three the next afternoon, trying to remember the little Ryan was able to tell me last night about Karen.

"She's worked with Donna on the abstinence stuff for the last two years or so. She had an ugly divorce last year and she and her son Devin, he's eight or so, stayed in Ottawa because her parents live not too far away. Other than that, she's a little hyper but Donna seemed to like her."

Not much to have learned after his wife had seen the woman regularly for two years, but when I pushed he hadn't been able to recall anything else, and his "Donna didn't tell me much about her" was so sad I couldn't make myself keep trying. It seemed like Donna hadn't told him much of anything.

I gave up then, and asked him why he thought I should have coffee with Karen. He shrugged. "Maybe she'll bring back your memories somehow." His shoulders sagged. "Since nothing else has."

Thanks for reminding me.

"Over here, Donna."

I turn and wave. "I'll just grab a coffee. Need anything?"

She doesn't, so I fetch my drink then take a deep breath and go to her table. "How are you?"

She smiles. "Just fine, thanks. But what's the deal with you?"

Damn. I didn't even fool her for one minute? "No deal," I try. "Why?"

She taps my right hand. My be-ringed hand. "Last time I saw you these big diamonds lived on your other hand."

Ryan said that when I could say I loved him he'd put the rings back on my left. Well, I can say it now but I'm not sure he wants them over there any more. And if they are going to move, I'd rather he do it and I don't want Karen there. I force a laugh, trying to think fast. "Oh, they still do. It's just, I had a bit of a rash," I say, remembering that happening to my mother once. "The doctor said it'd heal up better without the rings."

She looks down at my perfectly 'healed' finger. "You could move them back now, couldn't you?"

"Sure, but..." I smile, trying to look a little sheepish. "I'd rather let Ryan do it and he's waiting for the right moment." The irony of this widens my smile.