Now I felt completely calloused as I sat in the front of a class with almost thirty kids my age gawking at my back, as Mr. Shrow presented our class with the history lesson on the Fire piskie and how it came to be. I glanced around at the boy next to me, Kegan. He was more built like a high school jock than a fairy, which I learned were mostly tall and thin, like a willowisp. He was handsome like most of the boys here; his hair was commonly, gold with black roots sometimes peeking through. His eyes, which were also as usual as seeing your own self in the mirror, were black.

The classroom was just a mix of red, black, gold and grey that melted together and ran. It felt almost too usual to see red heads walking around. I still missed my hair but I had to admit, the black fit with the crappy mood I’d been in since Miles insisted I learn more about my history and set up an appointment with the school in the city of Flouren, a short horse ride out of Bermingham. I had been presented in front of the class with the school’s keeper (Principle), Miles and stout woman that claimed to be the second in command. The halls were just like a high school, dark with barely any windows. I tried to imagine the sun, but I only found my hairline damp and drips of sweat tumbling off my fingertips.

All heads turned and all mouths hung open as I was pushed in by my brother who smiled and lifted a hand to wave at everyone. Show off.

“Hello children,” he said smiling.

“Hello,” the children repeated like robots.

“Well hello Prince,” Mr. Shrow had come out from behind his desk and bent at the waist. Miles did the same and looked at me expectantly. I dropped my head and did a quick dip thing that was more or less a squat than a curtsey. A chuckle escaped from someone’s lips. All of our heads went to the children. One’s face was so bright red that when our eyes connected she smiled at me. I looked away quickly, feeling panicked that this was going to be just like high school, with the new girl being teased, and groped by the creeps in the hallways.

Miles’ hand on my back was, I’m sure, supposed to comfort me, or ease me into this situation but I felt nothing but sick.

“Whoever is so bold as to have contempt to the Prince and Her Upcoming best stand up and approach or I will hold you all until I find out.”

The room stayed quiet.

“Fine,” he said smugly. “You all will be withheld from afternoon activities and will be relieving Mr. Lae of his duties by scrubbing the bathrooms this evening.”

Now there were a few gasps from a group of girls in the back who I already realized to be the clique girls that I tried to avoid religiously. Some moans also came from a couple boys in front. One had definitely caught my eyes, not the same feeling that Cal gave me but close enough for me to fix my eyes onto Mr. Shrow and not look at him again.

My mother insisted on dressing me, since she couldn’t for the past fourteen years so she shoved me into a soft patterned red dress that hugged my curves like a body suit but flared out as the hips and had a neckline that grazed my collar bone. The cap sleeves were black lace to match the lacy fabric that my mother weaved into my braid.

I felt like an idiot as I noticed all of the kids were dressed in what looked to be handmade, patched up trousers and raggedy shirts. I looked too… royal. By my standards at least.

“But Mr. Shrow we had practice today,” one boy with wide yellow eyes and silky black hair grazing his chin said in disbelief.

“Well then you can blame the person who didn’t step forward Ea.”

What kind of name was Ea? I looked at the boy and he caught my eye, locking eyes for a couple more seconds before he turned his head and looked at the jock-boy.

“I’m so sorry, I thought my class better than this,” he emphasized his words so clearly that even I could hear the urge to slap them all in his voice.

“It’s alright,” I said. The words came up I didn’t even have to time to realize I said it before all heads turned to me again.

“Good, you’re speaking. I presume you have gotten over your anger with me?” Miles said shortly looking at me.

I scoffed in my head. He wasn’t making this easier and I would remember to slap him this evening. Another snicker from somewhere in the room and Mr. Shrow turned to them again.

“No, I am still furious with you but I will let you keep your dignity by refraining from slapping you until we are back at home.”

I don’t know why it came out so dignified but I guess it was because that’s how Miles and my mother talked all the time, whether it was anger, sadness or humor it was all cover with dignified posture, speech and expressions.

Miles looked a little dumbstruck when I turned to look at him. Just to make sure he understands.

“And I am completely serious.”

I could feel my face flush red as his drained. A few gasps and giggles again, this time I shot them my own look of anger and they all silenced quickly. I did notice though that jock-boy didn’t have an expression, he was looking at me blankly until a small smile posed on his lips.

He stood up abruptly and in one step was close. Very close. He was tall but the muscles were easily seen peeking out from under his sleeves. He wasn’t like the other fay boys I’d seen, but he definitely wasn’t close enough to a human for me to wonder of his origin, his pointy ears and height proved that all by itself.

He took my hand carefully in his and gently brought my hand up to his lips. As his lips put a little pressure on my knuckles his eyes were steady on me.

He simultaneously bowed and after a moment pulled my hand away from his mouth and he said what I actually wasn’t expecting. “It’s an honor to have you with us Princess Aria.”