CHAPTER 12 - ❝good day turned into a worst nightmare❞

Start from the beginning

A few weeks ago I wouldn't have hesitated to pick up the phone to call the police for them kidnapping me, but they were making things as comfortable for me as possible by giving me the space I needed.

They give me food to eat during the day when I'm hungry, they let me shower and they sometimes make me watch TV with them. They're even allowing me to go to school. They're allowing me to go back to civilization.

They could have easily kept me from going anywhere, but they trust me enough to go to school and that counted for something, at least.

Vito chuckles at my statement, lifting the cup to his lips before taking the last few gulps from it. He sets the cup down onto the granite kitchen island counter top and absentmindedly starts to tap the cup with his fingernail.

"That's why he's going to take you to the mall just outside of town. It's just a couple of miles out. No one will recognise you there unless you've been there before." He says.

I shake my head. "I have never been outside of town before. I think the farthest I've ever gone was to Eden's house and I think it's an hour away, if not longer." I tell him. "So I think we'll be safe."

Vito nods. "Also, just for a precaution, I sent Mikael to buy you a cell phone. It's not much, but it can call and you can message Eden from time to time." He says, fishing out the phone from his pyjama pant pocket before handing it to me. "I already saved our numbers on there, so don't worry about that."

I examine the phone and loved how brand new it felt. It was nearly similar to his but I think mine was a better version. Or that was only because my screen wasn't cracked like his was.

The cell phone case was dark purple and plain-with no patterns on it whatsoever, and the phone was barely bigger than my hand from palm to the tips of my fingers.

It was small, but like Vito said, it could message and call.

That was all I needed.

I unlock the phone only to see that the brothers were saved as my lock screen.

Of course it was.

I snort when I see the home screen. It was the same picture of them, just with guns and a message that reads; think twice about taking her phone, it would be the biggest mistake you ever made.

"Who knew the two of you could make a joke?" I laugh, shaking my head at their silliness.

"It's not a joke, really. They'll think twice before messing with you now."

I prop the phone into my jean pocket and turn to Vito. "Thank you for the phone. It definitely wasn't necessary to buy me the brand new phone but it will definitely come in handy like you said. So, thank you."

"You're welcome." He smiles.

I barely finished my coffee when Giovanni saunters into the kitchen.

He was wearing a pair of sweatpants and a plain black and grey short-sleeved shirt, and he finished his outfit off with a pair of brand new pair of black and white graffiti-printed sneakers.

I smile as the conversation during the week played inside my mind. "Do you even have a pair of jeans, Giovanni? Or maybe even a pair of sneakers?"

He wore a pair of sneakers just to show me that he owns something else other than the occasional pair of dress shoes I always see him in, but the sweatpants?

He would've passed for a high school jock if he didn't look so murderous.

"Let's get this over with, shall we?" He asks me, followed by a heavy sigh.