✭ 𝒮even - 𝐹ire ✭

"Okay. Are you ready?"

I nodded, focused intently on Pan standing opposite me. We were in the depths of the Pixie Woods, away from the camp and the Lost Boys so that we could concentrate on what we were doing and not be prone to any distractions. Peter had left Felix in charge while we were gone, and so here we were, about to start using magic. That word had never meant that much or seemed that much to me until now, when I was on the breach of learning it.

I snapped out of my thoughts and tried to even out my breathing and stay calm.

"This is the first thing you need to know about magic. It's not some mythical power that you can easily conjure up. You don't need to be in a certain family, you don't need to be a certain age or type. You don't need a gene. You just need to believe in it, believe in yourself, and put your all into learning. The more you practise and use magic, the easier it'll be."

I nodded again, biting the inside of my lip.

"The second thing is that there are three restrictions with magic. There's no way to do these three things in any circumstances. Not even the most powerful of magic can accomplish them."

I frowned slightly, intrigued.

"Really? What?"

"You can't bring back the dead," he answered slowly, looking seriously into my eyes, "you can't change the past and... and you can't force someone to fall in love." He stuttered on the last rule a little, but I overlooked it and nodded, my thoughts wandering slightly. Peter noticed my hesitation and frowned, confused.

"What?"

"Well, can't you, like, break rules of magic, or-"

"No. It's been tried before, with no success. The name for that is manipulation, and it only works in very rare cases. But those three are the only firm limitations to magic, Celeste."

"Okay."

"Good. Now we can start."

"What are we starting with?" I asked, and he gave me a slight smirk.

"Pyrokinesis. Which, in simple terms, is the ability to make and control fire. One of the most basic forms of magic."

My eyes lit up in excitement, and I nodded.

"Okay, how do I do it?"

"You've got a choice of two things to focus on," Pan started, approaching me. "Love, or anger."

I frowned at the last choice.

"I'm not focusing on anger. That's the type of magic that makes you dark and evil, isn't it?"

Pan shrugged, confidence oozing from him.

"In most cases, yeah. But not necessarily. Just channel the emotion by reliving a moment where you felt the most love, and protecting people that are close to you. Then it'll just... come."

"Oh, uh..." I bit down on my lip again, unsure. "I don't- I don't know if I can do that..."

"Of course you can do it, Celeste," Peter insisted, walking up behind me. "Close your eyes and focus on that time. When did you feel the most love in your life? When was the moment that you began to care for someone or someones, determined to protect them as much as you're able. Relive it. Feel it."

I sighed and obeyed, shutting my eyes and trying to think of that time. Before dad had started to drift away, before mum had left us alone, before the day everything started to go wrong. What was one moment when I was the happiest... when I was filled with love?