She had stopped beside the spot where the rest of the victors were awaiting their turn and was placing herself between Blight and Woof who greet her with smiles when Haymitch spoke his next words, "Wouldn't be my first search for it."

She grinned to herself when she caught the look Katniss and Peeta shared as they looked between the old friends and shot the older man a quick wink before she turned her attention toward the stage, ignoring Johanna's quiet laughter at both her conversation and Gloss' tears words of remembrance of the kindness he and his sister had received in the years they had been in the Capitol's eyes.

Ember only half paid attention to the interviews, impressed by the sharp words and innocent jabs made by those betrayed by the system that had promised them all a life of peace should they come out of their games as the last standing with the blood of countless other teenagers on their hands.

Fourteen victors before her, each leaving the audience more and more upset and angry and tearful, from Beetee questions of legality, Wiress talking of the love she's felt and how she'll miss seeing the citizens on her routine visits, to Finnick's love poem that all thought to be about them and Mags' heartfelt few words, Johanna's shouts of betrayal and anger, Blight's tightly worded answers lined with anger until finally...

"You've known and adored her for twenty years to the very date, please welcome my next guest to the stage." Caesar announced happily, "Put your hands together for the sensational Ember Tides!"

Woof gave her an encouraging pat on the shoulder as Ember pulled her features into a look of happiness and once she had a dazzling smile on her lips, she walked out with as much grace and confidence as she could muster, waving at the audience as they screamed and shouted their love and finally, she had reached Caesar who was leaning forward and giving her a hug that Ember returned, kissing his cheek before they could pull away, to the delight of the crowd.

"Long time, Caesar." Ember greeted as he ushered her into the chair, the woman crossing her left leg over her right, ignoring the sparkling red material that pulled up at her actions.

"Far, far too long, my dear, you look absolutely stunning! How are you?" Caesar responded when the cheering died into nothing but before Ember could answer, he was speaking once more, "I'm so sorry, that was silly of me, I was very saddened to hear of the loss of your sister, oh, and your lovely niece."

Soft murmurs ran through the crowd as Ember stared at the man, her smile slipping only slightly at the thought of Paige but she would use it, she and Thread would have wanted her to do whatever it took to try and get the games cancelled and if she couldn't do that, the most amount of sympathy.

"Thank you, Caesar." She responded with a soft smile as she forced tears to her eyes, "It's been hard on my brother and me, we're all each other has left, you see and Paige's death, as well as my niece's and my own impending death during this Quell, all I can do, is hope that my brother is going to be okay."

More murmurs, louder, angrier, and from the corner of her eye, she could see Caesar glance nervously at the crowd.

"Yes, well, you aren't known as the wolf for nothing." Caesar laughed, "You have a very good shot at winning this."

"Your confidence in me is sweet, Caesar, but I'm not as young as I used to be." Ember responded with a kind smile to mask her hatred of the nickname she had been given, "I truly don't see myself leaving the arena this time around." Murmurs or anger, surprise, sadness from the audience at her words, "But, it's alright."

"It is?" Caesar asked in confusion because he had heard a lot of anger from the men and women on his stage tonight, but not acceptance, "How so?"

"Everything short of marriage and possibly beginning a family, I've lived my life to its fullest, there's nothing left really." Ember lied as the crowd erupted in shouts of denial and sadness due to her words, so empty, so accepting, so deceptive.

hunted • haymitch abernathyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara