Back to Love . Chapter One

Chapter One

Aivi

“You might want to buckle up sweetie, the road tends to get a little bumpy here in this area,” dad said opening the door for me. His jet black hair danced as the wind blew. I grinned and got inside the scratched pick-up truck. The red paint was coming off, showing the true color of the old junk. 

“You ever tried buying a new ride?” I asked thinking why he’s had the same car.

“I like this one,” He answered chuckling. His boots clicked on the pavement as I rolled my eyes while forcing myself to sit down on the passenger seat. Sammy, my 1 year old Golden Retriever, begged me to give him some space so he wouldn’t have to sit on the back.

“No Sam. You stay on the back okay?” I said patting him on the head. He squeezed himself on the back and sat, leaving some of his golden fur on my shirt. I brushed them off and cleared my throat. From the rearview mirror, I could see Sam’s golden tail wagging.

The smell of strawberries filled the whole car, and then an awful scent of canned tuna aired in. I sniffed and let out a baby sneeze because of the smell. It was awful, just as awful as my situation was right now.

“Whoa, you got a cold there?” dad asked handing me a clean tissue. I shook my head quickly and sighed. I sat back and realized that something was on the way for my feet to feel comfortable. I looked under the seat and there were two boxes of canned tuna, newly wrapped. They were huge and bulky, much bigger than dog food cans.

“Ugh,” I groaned. “If you’re thinking of having canned tuna for dinner, forget it. I am so out.” I looked at him while slamming the door shut. He was startled of my action which caused him to blink. Then he flashed a fake smile.

“Oh no, those are for my shop. I mean, OUR shop,” he started buckling up. He put emphasis on the word “our” which gave me the goose bumps. “You see, tuna here is very popular.  You’d be surprised of how many people will be knocking on our door asking for tuna.”

“Great,” I mumbled pulling my seatbelt and buckling up. I looked out the window. It was drizzling but the sun was out. Sure was an odd weather. Dad started the engine and we drove off. For some reason, he drove better than he ever did leaving me speechless.

“So, do you remember anything about this place Ai?” He asked, turning driving slowly. So many things were circling my mind whether to respond to his question or not. I held onto the door handle, griping it tightly.

“No,” I gulped and shut my eyes tight, hoping he would not throw another question again. I bit my lip and thanked for the one minute silence that was given.

“Really? Why don’t you remember anything?” He asked.

Damn.

I formed my hands into a fist and forced myself not to answer his question. Gripping even tighter on the door handle, I continued to close my eyes.

‘Don’t answer Aivi. Don’t.’

“Hello? Am I talking to anyone?” His voice squeaked through my ears, coming out again.

That’s it.

I breathed deeply and turned to him. 

“No, I don’t remember anything. Why would I? You left us remember? Now if you didn’t, even the birds here, I’d memorize. Or maybe even how many rocks lay in the curb I’d know.” I snapped. Then dad pulled stopped the car and looked me in the eye. Anger rose through my whole body as silence filled the car.

“Oh, now what? You’re gonna sit there and yell at me and pretend that you care? Guess what, dad, I don’t want to be here. If you want to yell at someone, yell at mom. Call her up and scream at her, you’re good at that! You’ve always been good at that”