Fresno Nightcrawler/Alien

Start from the beginning

_______________________________________

FOLLOWING SIGHTINGS

Now, this is the weirdest cryptid I've researched thus far because there aren't in-person sightings. I mean, there are, but most if not all of them are disregarded even by cryptozoologists, who think there are four-foot-tall mutants skipping around California. If they find a place to draw the line, you know something's really silly.

Really, the only two sightings are in Jose's home video and the sighting explained below. That's weird, right? I'm not the only one who thinks that's weird? Most cryptids have dozens of supposed sightings "supporting" their existence, but not these little guys. We've got two videos and that's about it.

Yosemite

In 2011, Yosemite workers installed cameras in previously unsupervised areas with the intention of catching some recent vandals in the act. They got...a bit more than they bargained for.

This time, video surveillance captured two of the creatures strolling through the famous national park. One was incredibly short, less than half a meter high, and both of them had clearly defined feet and webbing connecting their knees to their torsos, as I mentioned above. See, this feels better to me. This feels more right. Keep your creepy cryptids in federally protected land where they belong! There's no telling what sort of trouble they could get up to when they wander into residential areas, especially itty-bitty cryptids like this one. Save our cryptids!

A motorist gets spooked

Okay, so I know I said there were only two sightings, and that's because there are -- of the California monster. But a veeeery similar cryptid has been observed all the way over in the rolling cornfields of the midwest -- more specifically, Manchester, Indiana. In 2004, a seventeen-year-old drove past a creature that matched the Fresno Nightcrawler's description except for one key detail: this thing was over six feet tall.

Oh my god. That's terrifying. I don't - I don't even know what I'd do if I saw that just strolling down the road. Probably admit myself to an insane asylum to the rest of my life because I cannot deal with a reality where a six-foot-tall pair of legs is just hopping around.

Anyway, an elderly couple also drove past the creature and both the teenager and the couple pulled over afterward and conferred about what the hell they just witnessed. The trio agreed that there was no way that creature had been human and then escorted one another out of the area. Those poor, poor people.

_______________________________________

MAJOR MEDIA APPEARANCES

Syfy's "Fact or Faked: Paranormal Sightings"

Now, while I rarely trust television for anything, this show genuinely attempted to recreate the Fresno Nightcrawler videos and failed. I'm not saying that means anything. I'm not saying that proves their existence. But, I mean, come on. Isn't that strange? A team of professionals whose show is based around figuring out if something is fact or fiction couldn't recreate these videos. These little guys are officially starting to creep me out.

_______________________________________

POSSIBLE HISTORICAL SOURCE

Because this is a relatively new cryptid that has thus far mostly been caught on camera, there isn't really a trail of mythology to follow. This creature seems wholly unique to its recent sightings, other than the Carmel Area Creature.

Native American mythology

These claims are floating all over the Internet with no substance or support. People just tend to point to the nearest native tribe, it seems, whenever something spooky happens. Listen, people. Just because Native Americans have some of the dopest mythology under the sun doesn't mean you can pin every cryptid on them. Just the coolest ones.

_______________________________________

MEME

_______________________________________

FURTHER READING

Again...not much out there about these little fellas.

"Fresno Nightcrawler," cryptidz.fandom.com