I sat with Hermione and the boys, trying to cram more information into my stuffed brain.

We were all distracted when Hedwig flew down with a letter.

"It's from Hagrid," said Harry. "Buckbeak's appeal— it's set for the sixth."

"That's the day we finish our exams," said Hermione, searching for her Arithmancy book.

"And they're coming up here to do it," Harry read on. "Someone from the Ministry of Magic and— and an executioner."

I felt my heart drop.

"They're bringing the executioner to the appeal! But that sounds as though they've already decided!"

"Yeah, it does," Harry said slowly.

"They can't!" I groaned. "Ron and I have spent ages reading up on stuff for him; they can't just ignore it all!"

But no matter how much I complained, I knew that four thirteen year olds were not going to make a convincing case.

***

Exam week began and the mood of the castle seemed to change dramatically.

Each day of the week, I had at least three exams. On Thursday, I had Defense Against the Dark Arts, and I finally managed to battle a boggart successfully.

After the exam, I headed back to the castle with Ron, Harry, and Hermione. As we arrived, we saw Cornelius Fudge, the Minister for Magic, standing and staring at the grounds.

"Hello there, Harry!" he said. "Just had an exam, I expect? Nearly finished?"

"Yes," said Harry. Hermione, Ron, and I hovered awkwardly in the background.

"Lovely day," said the Minister. "Pity...pity...I'm here on an unpleasant mission, Harry. The Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Animals required a witness to the execution of a mad hippogriff. As I needed to visit Hogwarts to check on the Black situation, I was asked to step in."

"Does that mean the appeal's already happened?" Ron interrupted.

"No, no, it's scheduled for this afternoon," said Fudge.

"Then you might not have to witness an execution after all!" said Ron stoutly. "The hippogriff might get off!"

I desperately wished Ron was right, but my gut was telling me that Buckbeak would not be spared.

My last exam was Muggle Studies. It went rather well, and I walked back up to Gryffindor Tower with Hermione. Ron was already there, and he looked miserable.

"Was Divination really that horrible?" I asked.

"Buckbeak lost," Ron said weakly. "Hagrid just sent this."

I glanced at the note.

Lost appeal. They're going to execute at sunset. Nothing you can do. Don't come down. I don't want you to see it.

Hagrid

We had to break the news to Harry, and he looked just as devastated.

"We've got to go," he said finally. "He can't just sit there on his own, waiting for the executioner!"

"Sunset, though," said Ron. "We'd never be allowed...'specially you, Harry..."

"If only we had the Invisibility Cloak..."

"Where is it?" said Hermione. Harry explained that he left it in the passageway under the one-eyed witch, and how Snape would jump at the chance to get him into trouble if he saw him near there again.

"How do you open the witch's hump again?" Hermione asked, getting to her feet.

"You— you tap it and say 'Dissendium'." said Harry. "But—"

Hermione didn't wait, she hurried out of the common room at once. We waited for a quarter of an hour, and then she returned with the cloak folded carefully under her robes.

"Hermione, I don't know what's gotten into you lately!" said Ron, astounded. "First you hit Malfoy, then you walk out on Professor Trelawney—"

"She did what?" I exclaimed. "Who are you and what have you done with Hermione Granger?"

"Okay, Hermione, Ron and I can wear the Invisibility Cloak," Harry said quietly, slipping it out of his robes when we entered an empty chamber off of the entrance hall. "But I don't think you'll fit, Ella, can you transform into someone?"

"Um— I think so. I've gotten better at it, and I've managed to do it for at least an hour now."

"Okay," Hermione whispered, "no one there— cloak on—"

I paused for a moment and morphed into McGonagall. Harry and Hermione threw the Invisibility Cloak over themselves, but Ron gave me a look before doing the same.

"She was the first person I thought of!" I hissed in the voice of McGonagall.

We reached Hagrid's cabin and knocked.

"Oh— Professor McGonagall, what—"

"It's us," Harry hissed. "We're wearing the Invisibility Cloak. Let us in and we can take it off."

"Yeh shouldn've come!" Hagrid whispered, but he stood back so we could come inside. He shut the door quickly and Harry pulled off the cloak while I morphed back into myself.

Hagrid went on to explain that there was nothing we could do for Buckbeak.

"Dumbledore'a gonna come down while it— while it happens. Wrote me this mornin'. Said he wants ter— ter be with me. Great man, Dumbledore." he said. Hermione let out a sob.

"We'll stay with you too, Hagrid," Hermione said, but Hagrid shook his head.

"Yeh're ter go back up ter the castle. I told yeh, I don' wan' yeh watchin'. An' yeh shouldn' be down here anyway... If Fudge an' Dumbledore catch yeh out without permission, Harry, yeh'll be in big trouble."

Hermione was silently crying, and I went over to help her make the tea. But as she poured the milk, Hermione let out a shriek.

"Ron! I- I don't believe it— it's Scabbers!"

"What are you talking about?"

Hermione took the jug of milk over to Ron and turned it upside down. Scabbers came sliding out onto the table.

"Scabbers!" said Ron blankly. "Scabbers, what are you doing here?"

"They're comin'..." Hagrid went pale, and suddenly ushered us towards the back door. I saw Dumbledore, Fudge, and the executioner through the window, headed this way.

As we went out into the garden, we neared Buckbeak, tethered to a tree near Hagrid's pumpkin patch.

"It's okay, Beaky," said Hagrid softly. "It's okay..." he turned to us. "Go on, get goin'."

"Hagrid, we can't—"

"We'll tell them what really happened—"

"They can't kill him—"

"It's not fair—!"

"Go!" said Hagrid fiercely. "It's bad enough without you lot in trouble an' all!"

Hermione threw the cloak over Harry and Ron, and I transformed into McGonagall. We started up toward the castle, but paused when someone called my name. Or rather, McGonagall's name.