common misconception ─ a. hotchner

professor hotchner x reader au.

The first day of the rest of your life. That's what they'd told you when you first stepped into the college dorms at Georgetown university. A common misconception, it seemed. Because your life seemed infinitely boring no matter how many chapters you'd opened and closed.

Or at least, you thought it was a common misconception until the start of your ethics class. Law and ethics, previously taught by the most boring professor in history—Dr. Kevin Samuel. You'd been dreading that course ever since you started studying law two years go.

But, it seemed that common misconceptions were, well, common in college, because every person in that class had all thought Dr Samuel would be teaching this course. That is, until he walked in.

The class was abuzz with chatter, students talking to people they'd admittedly never bothered to before. You were lucky, you had one of your best college friends right next to you. Paxton Marks. You'd met him on the first day. He was lost, you were lost, it was like a match made in wherever lost people go.

"You coming to Matt's tonight? I heard he got Chuck to buy the biggest keg he could find." Pax whispered in your ear. "Apparently they're unveiling it at the party."

You rolled your eyes. "It's a Thursday evening Pax. I have an early morning class tomorrow. So do you."

Paxton shrugged. "It's only at ten. We'll be awake by then."

You sighed, "I'll see. But no promises."

Paxton grinned and bumped your shoulder, "That's my girl."

You were about to reply when a deep voice spoke up in the front of the lecture hall. It appeared that he'd just walked in, and you watched as he set his briefcase down and turned to face you all.

The noise that had previously filled the crowded hall dissipated within seconds, it seemed that curiosity was stronger than the need to talk. Curiosity over the dark haired man in a black suit, with a light frown on his otherwise admittedly handsome face.

He was speaking, but you couldn't help but stare at him. Taking him in. Was he your new professor? Had Dr Samuel finally retired after eons of teaching?

The new guy seemed like every other law professor. There was something about him. You couldn't put your finger on it, but it was there. You were drawn out of your thoughts when Paxton nudged you with his shoulder.

"I know you weren't listening so here." He slid over a piece of paper with the professors details, scribbled in his untidy chicken scratch.

Professor Aaron Hotchner
Out new ethics prof.
He doesn't want us to talk (what are we, in high school?)
A Harvard law graduate (pretty cool)
— Pax.

P.S. take out your laptop or a writing pad and your textbook. apparently he doesn't test from the book, but on the content he covers in his lectures.

You rolled your eyes at his little notes, re-reading the little note at the end. Oh shit. You grabbed all your stuff frantically, not noticing the professors curious eyes fall on you in your haste to start typing out notes.