CHAPTER 1

“Honey we know that this is a little over-whelming for you, but it could open up a lot more doors of opportunities for you!”, Holly McPrentice stated, sitting down at the dining table with her husband and daughter sitting opposite her.

“Even if you don’t get the job, you can put the Internship down on your resume”, Paul McPrentice continued, trying to convince her daughter.

Samantha sat with her white board on the table with a marker beside it, listening to her parents ramble about a new career choice. She grabbed her marker and started to scribble down on the board, before holding it up and showing her parents in black writing.

‘They won’t accept a mute girl anyway’, the neat hand-writing made the couple sigh.

“They already accepted you. This is the perfect job for you Sam, and don’t let them tell you any different on the way you think or act”, her mother said, a soft smile on her face.

They didn’t mind the way Samantha wrote instead of spoke, they accepted after the many attempts for her to speak. Ever since she was a baby, she never spoke. It was only until Grade school was when she started to communicate with a piece of paper and a pen. That obviously resulted in Samantha having very few friends, but that didn’t seem to matter to her.

“Please Sam, we want you to try this out and just do your best. We want you to have a good career and a successful life”, Paul McPrentice said. “Please do this, for not just us but yourself”.

Samantha allowed herself to think about this suggestion, letting it run through her head before rubbing out the words on her board with her sleeve and write again, before lifting it up and showing her parents clearly what it said.

‘What time do I fly out?’.

----

The plane ride was a nightmare for Samantha. Many stewardesses tried to ask if she was hungry or thirsty, which she could decline and say nothing, or accept and write on her white board. It made people look at her strangely, making her feel insecure and nervous. She was able to get through customs and come out the airport. She took a bus to a apartment building that her parents booked for her, and made it up to the 5th floor before she settled in.

Samantha unpacked and took a shower, before changing into a fresh pair of clothes that consisted of a red and black flanney, a black shirt with some sort of design on it, a pair of skinny jeans and red converses. She grabbed her across body bag that held her Mac, notebook, white board and marker, along with her papers that she got from the Google industry in case it was necessary. She left her dirty blonde hair to lie down her shoulders, reached her forearms before putting a red beret on her head. (Search it up if you didn’t know what that is). Samantha pulled a lanyard around her neck that held a card that said who she was and why she was here, before heading out.

She left her apartment and took a cab downtown, that soon dropped her off at the Google building. She stepped out and gripped the strap of her bag, before the cab drove away. Samantha looked up at the building in awe, seeing the big letters placed on it in case you didn’t know where you were.

Samantha started walking forward, looking around at the people that were conversing and smiling outside. It made her feel a little better, seeing as they seemed friendly and easy to approach if needed. She walked into the building and decided to grab a hot chocolate from the cafe that was inside. She walked to the counter while pulling out her white board and marker, before scribbling down what she wanted. She held up the board and showed it to the guy behind the counter, before he nodded and made it up for her.

“Here you go”, he stated and she smiled a thankful smile at him. She pulled out the money from her pocket before going to hand it over, when he stopped her.

“No it’s okay, everything’s free here”, he stated. She looked at him oddly, before nodding her head and walking away still with her thankful smile on.

Samantha sat down at one of the tables and pulled out her Mac, putting her white board and marker back into her bag. She sipped her hot chocolate while typing away on her Mac, searching for information she’d need around this area.

“Woah so everything’s free here?”.

She looked up at the sound of the voice to see a man standing at the counter, looking at the guy who was there in awe. He looked a little old to be here, but he was just as surprised as everyone else would be at the free food scenario.

Maybe Samantha could get used to this place.