"I didn't know arranged marriages were still a thing these days," she mumbles.

"It's not really like that," Octavia explains as she shoves another handful of chips into her mouth. "Her parents would let her find a partner for herself, but she's almost twenty-five now and slowly becoming a shame for the family because, well, in these higher ranges, people start making assumptions if you can't commit to anyone for such a long time. And Clarke is their only daughter and they know Finn is fond of her, and he's the son of a reputed viscount so they'll think he's perfect for her. And I mean, he would be, but she doesn't love him and she so does not want to marry him and you have to help her out." The way she says it makes it sound like a desperate pleading, which simplifies things for Lexa when the actress slowly licks the ketchup off her fork.

"Well, alright, I'll do it," she decides with a sigh, as if this is a huge sacrifice whereas all she can think is over three thousand pounds, over three thousand pounds, oh god this is great.

"Really?" Octavia gets up from her chair and runs around the table to hug her friend. "Oh Lex, thank you so much, really, you're an absolute pro for doing this."

"Ah, well." Lexa shrugs nonchalantly. "You would do the same thing for my friends, so."

That leaves Octavia with a concerned expression on her face, whereas Lexa's food suddenly tastes twice as good.

~~~

Lexa only needs one hand to count all the times she has been to the coast, and even then she would still have fingers left. When she's been there, however, it was either with school or either for Aden's birthday, and then she has only seen the busiest and cheapest piece of coast line where you have to get up at six if you want to secure yourself a spot on the beach. Now, they are leaving all the touristic towns behind and drive to a place where buildings are scarce and large dunes are hiding the sea from view. When they do get a glimpse of the water, though, Lexa can see that it is crystal blue and the beach is plain yellow and unscathed. She softly whistles through her teeth.

"Any chance I actually get to be her girlfriend?" she asks Octavia, who's driving with one hand on the steering wheel and the other out of the window, which she turned down to let the sea breeze play with her long black hair.

"Don't make yourself illusions," her friend responds with a smile. "Once she's told her parents that you've broken up with her, you won't get to see her anymore, so you better enjoy all this luxury now that you have the chance."

Lexa bites her lip and nervously pulls down her dress for what must be the hundredth time today. Suddenly, she's very aware of every wrinkle in her clothes, every slight hint of a spot on her shoes, every tiny remainder of a scratch that Aden's malicious cat Titus left on her. As an actress, she's on a stage all the time, yet she has never felt more exposed than she does right now.

"You look good," Octavia assures when she descries her friend's worries. "Clarke can better be grateful to have a girlfriend like you."

"You did tell her about my background, right?" Lexa inquires. They are taking a turn off the main road that leads them more towards the beach, which probably means that they are approaching the Griffins' vacation mansion. With every mile closer they get, Lexa's heart starts hammering faster in her chest. This is probably the most exciting and craziest thing she's ever done in her mostly rather uninteresting life.

"Not the details, but she does know that you're not a viscount's daughter, yeah."

Lexa wants to tell her that this is not nearly enough information to warn Clarke for what she will be dealing with, but she keeps her mouth shut when a huge wooden house comes into view. It is mainly painted white, although it has some blue accents in the shutters, the balconies and the door frame. There is an enormous terrace on three sides of the house, two of which give a great view on the sea and the beach, that starts immediately after the house's backyard. Overall it is simply breathtaking.