Sweet Dreams

Tucker stumbles up the steps of the platform, soaking wet and gripping the handle of his bloody knife. He wipes his face with his equally bloody shirt. His limbs are shaking.

"Well, did you do it?" I practically scream.

He nods. "I-I did, but... Something happened. I don't know, there's something wrong with her and I didn't-"

In a flash I have him by the collar, and I am staring into his wide brown eyes. He trembles in my grip. I'm about to tell him off, (of course you screwed it up, look at all this fucking blood!) but I notice something-deep scratches on his collar.

"Holy hell man what did you do?"

Before he can respond, we hear the sound of a wooden door smashed off of its hinges. We shift our attention in time to see our ymbryne jump at least thirty feet down to the ground. Something is extremely wrong.

Caleb, gripping his spear, is the first to approach her.

"Diana, are you-"

It happens so fast no one is quite sure what exactly did happen. She grabs his spear and uses it to slam into his chest. When he bends forward, she sweeps his feet and is straddling him on the ground in seconds, the spear tip at his jugular.

"Hey, hey! We're not going to hurt you it's alright! It's us, you know us," I cry, the worlds just barely scraping out of my throat. Her eyes soften for just a split second, it is a look of fear stemmed from confusion, but it vanishes as quickly as it came.

"You know me, Diana, you know me," Caleb whimpers beneath her.

"I don't!" She cries back, "That's not me! Tell me what the fuck I'm doing here, now!"

There's a heavy feeling in the air as the sudden severity of the situations drops like cinder blocks on our backs from the sky. There is nothing to say other than the truth.

Caleb suddenly reaches up from beneath her and pulls the end of the spear of him, slicing open his hand. She is quicker, grabbing his wrists and slamming them down. That's when I notice the bright red smear across his neck. God, no. I see the dark red spreading across her stomach, dripping down on him. Her stomach is bleeding, though Caleb hadn't harmed her. She sees it too, and punches Caleb in the throat before leaping off of him and recollecting the spear.

There's a panic, but no one moves. How can we go against our ymbryne? No one tries to. Two other boys approach, and she slices open one of their throats. The other one manages to snap the spear, but not before she blasts him through the crowd with a beam of energy.

"There's no way we can take her," Ray whispers to me, "You need to... You need a bigger force here."

I sigh. Dipping my fingers into my pocket, I retract a few miscellaneous items long forgotten, among them two wrinkled cards. An ominous masked face stares back as if too judges me for its neglect.

"I don't care who you call, mad hatter or tweety, just have them come and get her."