Chapter 4, Isabella and Henry

August 10, 1544

21 year old Queen Katherine Howard lay still as the physician and midwife checked her over. Upon entering her second pregnancy Katherine was strong, now at 8 months, she could barely walk.

“My Lady everything seems fine, but you need to enter your lying in.’

With the information she needed, Katherine went to the king to bid him farewell. “I pray I will see you again my love.” She whispered and Henry placed his hand on her stomach, “May god be with you and our little one.” He kissed her softly and then watched as she shut herself into her chambers.

As before Lady Mary and Lady Rochford would attend her, only this time Joan Balmer would be present as Elizabeth had declined to go into confinement with her this time. To pass the time, Mary told them of her upcoming marriage to the Duke of Bavaria. Joan spoke of her own engagement and Lady Rochford would read from the bible while Katherine worked on clothing for the baby.

September 6, 1544

The morning of September 6 dawned normally. Katherine attended prayer, saying an extra one for the kings health. BUt as she stood, pain ripped through her stomach and she cried out as water and blood ran down her les.  While Mary and Jane got her into bed, Joan ran to inform the king, barging into his council room, “My lord!”

She found Henry in the middle of a meeting and she quickly bowed before them, “The Queens labor pains have begun.” Henry immediately left the council chamber and he entered his chapel where he began praying for his wife and child.

Maids scurried about the room bringing in hot water, linen and cloth to wrap the baby in. Katherine screamed loudly as pain ripped through her. She began praying loudly clutching the lady Mary’s hand in hers.

Lady Rochford cleaned the Queen’s brow off and the Midwife checked the queen over, “My lady Push!”

Clamping down, Katherine pushed as hard as she could for a full minute before falling back onto the pillows. She saw the midwives eyes widen, “What’s wrong!?”

“The cord is wrapped around the baby’s neck. Push my lady, Push!”

For the life of her child, Katherine pushed as hard as she could. A moment later the baby slid into the midwife's hands. The old woman removed the cord and everyone watched as she worked on the baby. It finally let out a scream and relief washed over the young queen….but it didn’t last long.

Another contraction started and she yelled out in pain and a maid took over, “My lady you're carrying twins!.”

Using the last of her strength Katherine pushed and the second baby slid into the world. Another cry was heard and Katherine looked around the room groggily.

“My lady you have delivered a son and a daughter. “

As Katherine was cleaned up, Mary left the room and she made her way into her father’s chapel. Henry stood and he looked at her with tired eyes. “Father, Katherine has delivered a son.”

Henry smiled, “And a daughter.” His eyes went wide, “She was carrying twins?” Mary nodded and Henry sighed softly, “I need to see her.” Breaking protocol once more, Henry made his way into Katherine’s chambers.

“Katherine my love.”

He leaned down and he kissed her forehead. “I love you so much.” The babies were brought forth and Katherine and Henry looked upon their twins for the first time. Katherine smiled a weak smile, “Henry….The boy should be named Henry after his father...and the girl….I want to name her Isabella, for Mary’s Grandmother”

Henry thought for a moment and he nodded. “Those names are perfect.” He ran his fingers through Katherine’s hair “Sleep my love. I will be here when you wake.”  Katherine nodded and her heavy eyes slid closed.

The following afternoon when Katherine awoke the king was no where in sight. Knowing he had business to attend to she slowly tried to raise up only to wince in pain. But the urge to see her children in the light was stronger. So she rolled onto her side and she peered into the Cradles next to her bed.

Little Henry had soft strawberry blond hair and was gazing at his mother with bright blue eyes. Little Isabella had a head full of blond hair and the same eyes as her brother. Katherine reached down and she gently touched both of her children….Nothing in the world could ruin her happiness in that moment…..nothing...