CHAPTER 07 - ❝willing to co-operate❞

Start from the beginning

The tarp that kept us covered was slid open and Wolff stepped through. “Boss?”

“Yes?” I ask him, wiping the bloodied blade with my handkerchief.

“I just wanted to, uh, see if you were done.”

I dip my head in a nod, throwing the bloodied handkerchief into his blood on the floor. I look at Wolff again. “Clean this mess up and don’t leave anything behind. Not unless you want to end up just like him.”

Wolff nods and scurries toward the body before he unties the binds around his hands. The limp body falls to the ground and I turn to walk away.

It was nearly dark out when I left the site.

When I looked up, the sky was completely covered in dark clouds and the breeze really started to pick up. It felt like ice against my skin, the breeze.

 By the time I made it back to the mansion, it was completely dark and raining. The rain came down like sheets, I could barely see anything through the windshield of my car, but luckily I was driving through the mansion’s gates, parking the car just behind Giovanni’s.

I get out of my car, trying to use my hands as shields to cover myself from the rain, but when I made it to the front door, I was completely soaked.

My hair stuck to my face and my jacket started to become impossibly tighter.

I lift my hand to open the door, but Giovanni beat me to it. “What the fuck took you so long?” He asks, stepping out of the way so I could enter the mansion.

“Marcus did it.” I tell him. “He’s the one who took the money. You were right.” I push my jacket down and off my shoulders, letting it fall down my arms. I take it off and slip it around my arm, the water droplets dropping toward the marble flooring.

Giovanni curses under his breath, shaking his head at me. “That’s the least of our worries right now, brother.” He says, changing the subject abruptly. “We have something else to worry about.”

“What?” I ask him, already not liking where this is going.

He lets out a deep breath, raking his fingers through his hair. “Scarlett tried to swallow a shitload of pills today. And she nearly died of a panic attack. She couldn’t breathe. Kallie helped her, though. But everything went to shit after… She tried swallowing pills and if Mikael didn’t call me, I don’t know what would’ve happened.”

“Shit.” I mutter.  “What did you do this time, brother?”

Giovanni shrugs at me. “Believe me when I say that I had nothing to do with her nearly dying this time, little brother. I was in my office when she came knocking. I didn’t bother her once or started shit with her.”

I chuckle at him. “That’s the first.”

“I know, right?” He chuckles too but it was humourless.

Giovanni actually seemed spooked that Scarlett nearly died.

I wanted to tease him about being worried about her, but decided against it. He clearly was spooked and teasing him now would only make things worse.

“Did you feed her at all today?”

“No,” he shakes his head. “She’s sedated. I was a little on edge after the entire pill swallowing thing, so I asked Kallie to sedate her. She might be awake now. I didn’t check yet.”

“I’ll talk to her.” I tell him. “But not to ruffle some feathers, brother, but you did kill her brother. So it’s normal for someone to want to, uh, you know…”