CHAPTER 07 - ❝willing to co-operate❞

Start from the beginning

He whimpers when I turn around with the blade in my left hand.

“Forty five seconds left. You better start talking right now.”

I step closer to him with the knife in my hand and he goes ghostly pale in the face and his lip starts to tremble. He eyes the blade worriedly, trying to scoot the chair backwards but the chair’s leg was caught in the tarp, leaving him right where I want him. I press the knife against his neck, earning a whimper coming from him when the blade started to draw a little blood. “Don’t lie to me.” I tell him, pressing the knife against his throat harder. “Now talk. My patience is wearing thin.”

He tries to retreat backward from the knife, but I kept it against his neck.

“I-I gave it to my family!” He stutters. “They needed the money. School is starting soon and the bills were piling up. I had to make a plan before they started to repossess things.”

I laugh bitterly but took the knife away from his neck. He releases a relieved breath, closing his eyes. “Family, huh?” I ask, looking at the drop of blood against the blade’s tip. “What am I to you, huh?”

He blinks rapidly, shaking his head over and over again. “I-I uh, Boss- you are my family but, but—”

“But what?” I urge him. “Tell me!”

His breath bursts from his mouth. “We w-were struggling and I thought that I could take my share and a little more for them and I know I should’ve consulted with you first but I was desperate and I-I am so sorry, Boss!”

I smile at him while I toyed with the knife in my hands. “You know what’s really funny?” I ask him, throwing the knife into the air before catching it swiftly again. “The fact that you just lied to my face. Not once, but twice.”

I throw the knife into the air again, catching it by the tip of the blade. It nearly cut through my glove and if I didn’t wear one, it would’ve chopped my finger right off.

He frowns at me. “I-I didn’t lie, Boss! I swear!”

“That’s a third lie.”

He opens his mouth to object, but I continue before he gets a chance to do so. “I never go off on someone before I did the necessary research on them.” I tell him, twisting the blade in my hand, over and over again. “I’ve been keeping tabs on your family.”

He stiffens on the spot.

His eyes wide in shock.

“They’re not struggling at all.” I tell him. “In fact, things are going really great seeing that your wife, or should I say ex-wife, is living with her new husband in Hawaii with your two kids. There’s a new one on the way too, by the way. Not sure if you wanted to know that or not.”

I pause, smiling wickedly this time. “And as for your kids, they have the best education in the world. And your bills are definitely not piling up. The only thing piling up is the lies you just told me.”

His eyes drop to the floor, at the droplets of blood lying on the tarp.

“I gave you multiple chances to tell the truth but you lied to my face three times already. That will not be tolerated.”

Without warning, I slide the blade across his neck. He gurgles blood and I could only watch how the blood runs from the gash in his neck.

His blood completely covered the tarp.

I had to step out of the way so that my boots wouldn’t get covered with it.

“Never lie to me.” I tell him. “Especially not when I already know the truth.”