Prologue

Months have passed since Kirito and Asuna's world fell into chaos. Now corrupted by the Darkness that has resurrected them, they now fight to survive... and rule all worlds.

*Kirito's POV*

Dark. Cold. Lightless. That's what I have felt ever since I abandoned my past... I opened my eyes, expecting to wake up to waves of nightmares, but instead, I saw burnt remnants of my old life slipping away as I walked farther and farther away from what used to be my home. As I stepped away from the light, Asuna went along with me.

The first time I experienced the darkness, I felt like I didn't deserve to even be alive; even if I did, I couldn't live with myself, knowing that in protecting her, I had failed to protect my friends, my families, my people, and, ultimately, my world. She is the only remaining part of my sanity that I cling to in this time of madness.

Argo. Klein. Agil. Lisbeth. Silica. Yui. Sinon. Eiji. Yuna. Alice. They're dead now, but it was by my own sister's hands... Suguha, my little sister. The sister who defended me whenever trouble caught up with me. But, that was long ago. Yesterday, she was the girl whose future version helped kill my birth parents and cover it all up as a car accident gone wrong. The girl who put my friends in harm's way. The girl who helped Laughing Coffin execute Asuna's parents and traumatize her. The girl who murdered her own parents... good people who raised us and kept us safe... in front of me. Now, she's just another body. A victim who died by my hands.

I could've risked my life to try to get through to her, but it didn't matter anymore. I had already become the very thing I swore I'd destroy. A monster. But, the worst part is that I never felt any regret or guilt. Asuna didn't care about what happened to me when I killed Suguha, because she knew that I didn't have any choice. But, was she right?

That thought somehow slipped out of my head as I held our daughter's data chip tightly in my enhanced metallic right arm

That thought somehow slipped out of my head as I held our daughter's data chip tightly in my enhanced metallic right arm. Forged from the metals of corrupted Pyramid ships, this arm has provided me with much more strength than my previous right arm.

"Kirito?" Asuna asked as I looked back. "What's next for us now?"

I turned to her, startled by what she said. "What?"

"We lost," she spoke softly. "We lost everything, Kirito."

"Not everything, Asuna," I replied. "I still have you."

When she heard what I said, she felt herself coming closer to me. "Really?" she whispered in my ear.

"Yeah," I smiled. "Everything's going to be okay, Asuna. I promise."