Which One Is Kaoru?

"You really scared me Suya!" Ayaka's voice cried as soon as I was awake. The clock said it was one in the morning.

"Go to bed Ayaka..." I mumble and rolled over, pretending to sleep.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Something about her voice was off. Normally it was cheerful, even this late at night. It had always annoyed me. She seemed upset. More than she should be.

I sighed and sat up, still slightly dizzy. "That's not what's really bothering you, is it?"

"Don't change the subject!" she cried again. I was right and we both knew it.

"Because I didn't want you to worry when it's nothing," I said calmly, trying to use a soothing tone. "I've dealt with this for years, I can usually stop it before it starts."

"You still should have told me!" She was shouting slightly, but she was calming down.

"I got along fine without help from anyone, so deal with it. Now, what are you so upset about?" Watching her, I'd noticed she'd been crying. There was no way this was all me. Something had to have happened while I was out. Something told me I didn't want to know.

"Well..." she started to say as she tried to brush the tears away that were forming in her eyes. "You know how I feel about you-know-who?"

"Yeah..."

"Well... I told him how I feel..."

"And he doesn't feel that way about you?"

She didn't say anything but nodded.

"What happened after I blacked out?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"You-know-who helped me get you home..." I knew it was coming the moment she'd called him you-know-who. She started crying again.

"Alright. Go get some sleep, Ayaka. It helps more than anything."

When she was gone, I rolled back over and made up a plan in my head for the next day.

I pushed my shyness and discomfort aside as I entered the Host club for the first time on my own. Only they would be here, since it was late enough that all of their guests had gone. After asking the one I recalled to be Kyoya to gather everyone together, I prepared myself for what I needed to do.

"I would like to apologize for any rude or hurtful things I may have said to you yesterday," I said, bowing my head respectfully. "I was not fully in control of myself at the time and I hope that you can forgive me."

After that was all over, I approached the twins. "Can I speak with Kaoru alone a moment?"

"Only if you can guess which one is Kaoru," one of them said.

To be honest, I had no clue who was who. I wasn't about to say that though. Looking them over and thinking back on the little that I knew about them, I devised a way of figuring it out.

Ayaka had always gone on and on about these two, now was the chance to put that to use.

Hikaru was the impulsive one, and Kaoru always seemed like the more sensitive type. That was about the extent of my knowledge.

Stepping forward until I was really close, I watched their reactions closely. One of them seemed to have no reaction at all. The other tensed up, even if only slightly.

I smiled and turned one of them. "You're Kaoru, aren't you?"

"How did you know that?" Kaoru asked, clearly surprised.

"Lucky guess really..." I looked away, slightly embarrassed. "I don't really know you very well so I haven't figured out a way to tell you apart yet."

When we were alone, or at least far enough away that the others wouldn't hear, I asked what I'd come to find out.

"What did you say to Ayaka?" I avoided any eye contact, figuring it'd make this even more awkward if our eyes met.

"I just told her I didn't feel that way," he said, avoiding looking at me. "I've got my eye on someone else anyway..."

"How did you say it to her though? The way she talked about it, she made you sound like a complete jerk."