Wolfe's P.O.V. from 'the market' scene in Slumber

Unrequited

Wolfe’s P.O.V from ‘The Market’ Scene in Slumber

I watched the three of them together, attempting to fool even myself with my indifference. It was an impossible task. I was envious of their camaraderie, of their friendship.

My eyes flickered from watching Lord Matai, one of my guard and a man I trusted with my life and the Princezna’s, as he lifted Haydyn from her horse and settled her gently on the ground. I didn’t bother rushing to help Rogan down from hers. While she’d act like a purring kitten for those she liked, for me trying to help her would be like trying to pet one of those extinct viperous snakes my father loved to tell me about.

Yes, that was my childhood. Treated to tales of deadly creatures for a bedtime story.

Just as quickly as the thought of that man came to mind, I knocked it out, my scrutiny reluctantly shifting from Rogan to the Princezna. I was still frustrated that we were in the marketplace only hours after Haydyn had collapsed from exhaustion in her room. It seemed like pure stupidity but the Princezna wanted to shop.

So we were shopping.

I doubted I would ever understand the illogical complexities of the female psyche.

My eyes scanned the busy marketplace, searching quickly over the peddlers and patrons for anything untoward. The rumors of approaching violence had me concerned but so far there had been no evidence of it in Silvera. Still, one couldn’t be too careful when it came to the Princezna’s life. I glanced back at her to see her conversing with Matai and Rogan. From the looks of things she was being teased. I watched the way her eyes washed over Matai’s face adoringly and the proprietary way he regarded her in return.

They may have the rest of the palace fooled but not me. I knew they were in love and I was aware of their affair, and although I knew there was a time limit on their affair, I envied them it.

I envied Matai. I envied that the woman he loved, loved him back.

If I was honest I envied so many of my men. I envied the men who returned home each night to a wife who loved them, and I envied my men who could jump from one willing and warm female body to the next without hesitation. I’d had affairs with some of the most beautiful women in our land. My men thought me the lucky one. Instead I felt trapped, choked, frustrated; angry at myself and at her.

Speaking of her… I bit out a curse under my breath when I realized she had disappeared into the crowds away from the Princezna and Matai.

Catching a glimpse of dark hair bobbing through the throngs of people, I hurried forward, hand on the hilt of my sword. I gave a curt command to Matai to take care of the Princezna and I flicked a hand behind me to my best soldier and friend, Lieutenant Chaeron, knowing he would follow and pan out from me, keeping an eye on our movements.

It was just as important that Rogan be protected as it was that Haydyn be kept safe.

My eyes drank Rogan in as I caught sight of her standing at a market stall of fine fabrics. Heat stirred in my blood, as it always did when she was near. She maddened me with her ability to enflame my senses. She infuriated my pride to no end.

The hard grip of the market seller’s hand around her wrist drew my lustful thoughts from the generous curve of her hips. A different heat flared quickly at the sight of him touching her and I poured speed into my feet.

I ripped his hand from hers and stared into the older man’s ruddy face, enjoying the shock and the hint of fear in his eyes. “You dare to lay your hands on the Princezna’s Handmaiden?” I growled, trying to temper my mood, to act professionally, but failing. Something else to blame the bewitching little brat for.