Prologue

Hampshire County was a small coastal town on the East Coast of Australia where Alyssa Young lived.  Most people have always dreamed of living in a small town, however, Alyssa knew the disadvantages. She knew that people were more likely to stare at you, that people would find you and that escapes were hard to come by.  She knew that you could either make a group of friends, but it was easier to make a group of enemies. She knew that people were judgemental of everything – the way your house looked, the way you looked.

It was because of these judging stares that Alyssa often went missing, although you always knew where to find her –down in the lighthouse gazebo staring out over the ocean; one of the only things she loved. She often went there whether she was sad, happy, confused or otherwise. It was the only place that she felt fully alive – fully human. Of course, in a small town you were easily found so Alyssa was often dobbed in to her worried parents.

Over all, Alyssa hated Hampshire County and couldn’t wait to get out when she was old enough. She couldn’t wait to go somewhere where she belonged, somewhere with a major health care clinic, somewhere where she wouldn’t be judged or picked on, somewhere where people with abnormalities were seen as perfectly normal.

You see Alyssa was blind.