47. Flo's Fiery Plans

Start from the beginning

Only almost, of course.

"Ho!" Abruptly, the coachman tugged at the reins, just managing to bring the coach to a halt. "Oy, woman, what do ye think ye're doin'? Get out of da way!"

"I'm s-sorry! I didn't mean to! It's just...I 'aven't eaten for days, and me legs are feelin' so weak, and..."

"Oh dear! What do we have here? Coachman, stop!"

The coachman, who had just been about to spur the horses on again, froze in mid-movement. "My Lord?"

"Well, just look at this poor woman, and her...poor children." His Grace Ronald Harrington, Duke of Arrendyle pushed open the coach door and, climbing out, gazed down at the helpless woman and her children. Helpless being the operative word. What a wonderful start to a day that had promised to be so dreary. A smile spread across his handsome face. Only a very, very close observer would have noticed that, unlike his gate guards, the Duke's gaze rested not upon the woman's cleavage, nor upon her skirt, but upon the children who clung to it. The Duke smiled to himself. To each their own, after all. "This good woman doesn't look like a beggar or vagabond. I think it is very likely that there is a story behind this, correct?"

Smiling, he bent forward to where the terrified damsel was huddled together with her children. This was going to be highly entertaining.

The poor woman cowered. "Y-yes, thank ye, My Lord. Ye're quite right. I...I..."

Such sweet fear...such savory innocence...too bad she was about ten or fifteen years too old.

"What is it?" the duke asked gently, extending his hand.

"It's...I...I'm ashamed dat...dat..."

"What? Do not be afraid, Miss. You're safe here."

"Th-thank you, My Lord! I...I..." Ah, that delectable stutter... He wondered whether she would still stutter later when she was safely in his castle, and he had found a nice, comfortable bedroom for her children. "J-just...th-thank you."

The poor, distressed young lady lowered her head in shame. And because she did, no one, not even the duke, was able to see the ginormous grin on her face.

"I...was lucky enough ta be married ta a wonderful man, My Lord. One of da best ta ever live. 'e...'e worked tirelessly ta provide for me and our children, and...and everythin' looked so wonderful. We didn't 'ave much, but we were 'appy, and our future looked bright. And den...and den..."

Blah, blah, blah, et cetera...would that woman never shut up?

"Then what?" he asked gently and oh-so-convincingly.

"I...we...lost 'im. Just a few weeks ago, 'e...'e went out on da sea in his fishing boat and never...never ever..."

Just then, two of the little girls buried their faces in the woman's skirt, starting to whimper and sob with gusto. Oh, that sound... His Grace had to suppress the urge to shiver in pleasure.

Soon, he told himself. Soon.

"Shh...shh..." Gathering the children up in her arms, she hugged them close. "It's all right, me little ones. It's all right. Mum's right 'ere."

"Well now, don't be sad, children. Don't be sad," the duke soothed. "I'm sure he is in a better place now." Better for me, anyway. Stepping towards them, the duke bent down to the children, giving them a blindingly white smile that might have come straight from a dentist's advertisement. "No need to hide. You're safe here."

One of the girls peeked out from the folds of the skirt. "P-promise?"

"I swear," He gazed straight into the adorable girl's eyes. Eyes that soon would plead for mercy. "I happen to be very fond of children."