As her eyes adjusted to the dim interior, she counted three forms within. Piper, next to the door control, was still frozen in stunned surprise. Behind her, hands on hips, stood Cait, eyes flicking from Nora to Danse's immaculate armor, and back again. She raised an eyebrow, that one move speaking volumes. In the back of the room, casually leaning against the armor station, ostensibly cleaning his fingernails with a wicked combat knife, was MacCready. He was very carefully not looking at her, concentrating on the knife. Nora's heart lifted. Of course he's here. Grateful the helmet obscured her face, she took a moment and filled her eyes with the sight of him. Mac.

Ever since they paired up, Nora and MacCready had decided to keep their relationship private. Nora was trying to balance being a representative member of three different factions who were rarely on the best of terms. She was the General of the Minutemen, a Knight of the Brotherhood of Steel, and an Agent of the Railroad, as well as the unlikely friend of several other prominent Commonwealth citizens who looked up to her for reasons she still didn't quite understand. She tried to be fair and as kind as she could in this changed world. On the other hand, MacCready was "only" a bitter former Gunner mercenary of formidable fighting renown; known mostly for his sharp sarcastic wit, love of caps, and not much else. Very, very few people had even bothered to try and look behind that hardened, prickly exterior; and only Nora had discovered the heart of his beautiful, loving soul hidden deeply inside. To the outsider, their relationship looked unlikely, even impossible. She doubted anyone would really understand their attachment, and honestly, it was none of their business anyway. Especially if they don't even bother trying to get to know him, she mused. Some would think she'd be better off with someone... anyone... else. The misunderstanding would just cause problems unnecessary for the fragile camaraderie at Red Rocket. The fewer complications, fewer personality conflicts, less overall drama, the better for everyone.... she hoped.

"Geez, Blue, what happened to you?" Piper exclaimed, finally finding her voice.

At this comment, MacCready finally looked up. His gaze swept across her battered armor as he sheathed the combat knife and stood upright. His eyes narrowed slightly, and his lips pressed together in a slight frown, but he made no comment, stepping away from the armor station.

Danse tried to explain in his pedantic way. "We ran into some tough resistance on our last mission..."

"Save it, Danse," Piper retorted, flapping one hand at the surprised Paladin to shoo him away. "Yeesh. Nora, get over there and get out of that thing."

Nora didn't need a second invitation. She clanked painfully inside, making for the power armor station. Piper hit the button to close the scrolling door on the motionless Danse. "Just go report to Hancock, or Garvey when he gets back with Valentine, or go do something useful," Piper admonished, "We don't need you here." Heavy steps faded away as the door closed completely. "He's... he's so... ugh!"

"He's a complete git at times" offered Cait. "I don't care how pretty he is in that shiny suit." An amused snicker from MacCready echoed that sentiment.

Nora sighed. "Danse is..." she offered soothingly, "a good fighter, very dedicated to the Brotherhood. And a member of this unlikely, and very dysfunctional... family." Her voice faltered at the last word; she was trying so hard. The inevitable ruffling of feathers begins again. "Look, I'm tired. I just want to get out of this thing and get clean. Can we save the verbal backstabbing for later?"

"Fine, but he's still a git" Cait groused.

"Piper, where are Preston and Nick, anyway? You said 'when they get back'?" Nora asked as she removed the storage pack attached to her backplate, tossing it lightly onto the workbench. She maneuvered the power armor under the overhanging arms of the repair station in preparation to exit. "Where did they go?"

Red Rocket ExchangeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara