The First

I walk into Cullen's office. I tell myself, don't be a chicken. Don't be a chicken. "I need to talk to you, please," I say. I try to sound sweet but my voice wavers and I end up making a mess of myself. "Sure, let's talk outside." I open the door to the battlements. "So it's a nice day," he says awkwardly and high pitched once we've reached outside. "What?" I ask. "It's a..." he clears his throat, "you said you needed to talk to me." He looks nervous.

"I have a question. Do you see us going somewhere? Like I said I don't want this to be a fling. I like you, a lot. I think about you all the time, more than I probably should. You understand what the stress of being who I am, who we are, is like." He smiled sweetly, "maybe I could just put it like this..."

He leaned in to kiss me, I go in to meet him. But in walks a stupid messenger, "Commander, I have Sister Leliana's report." Cullen stopped in his tracks and slowly turned himself facing the man. I awkwardly brushed my hair to the side and turned away. I was leaning on the edge of the ledge of the battlements, trying to seem invisible.

Cullen growled, "what!" The messenger, still looking at his clipboard, said, "A copy of Sister Lelian..." He finally looks up to see Cullen's face. Angry and frustrated. The messenger looks from him to me and ahh'ed. He quickly turned to leave saying, "I'll just put them on your desk." He then smiled and gave Cullen a thumbs up.

Cullen then sighed and turned back to me, biting his lip. "If you need to..." I started, but I was shocked to suddenly feel his lips on mine and one his hands around my neck and the other on my waist. His lips soft and passionate and heated all at the same time. I was stunned for a moment not knowing how to respond, but I quickly recovered, placing my own hands on his forearm and torso. And as quick as it stared, it ended, sadly he backed away. "That was ... I'm sorry ... That was amazing." He was as breathless and flustered as I was.

"I must say, I will take that as a yes. But I can't be sure it's all a blur." I joked, answering his earlier question. He laughed, "most definitely yes." We both laugh, and return to our matter on hand. Each other.