King of Space

King of Space

Third person/ Oikawa Tooru's POV.

Tooru's face contorted with pain, while he threw his gym bag in the corner of his room, before he collapsed, stomach first, on his bed. Exhausted, he lay motionless for a few moments, listening in silence, as his alarm clock ticked quietly next to him. He hadn't bothered to turn on his overhead lights, despite the fact that it was already dawn outside. He just lay in the semi-darkness on his soft mattress, not bothered about the lack of light for the time being. Outside of his room, he could hear his mother working in the kitchen, warming up his lunch, but he wasn't even sure if he was actually hungry after his coach instructed him to take a break from training.

Desperately snorting into his pillow, Tooru dug his long, slender fingers into his turquoise sheets. Taking a break? How could he take a break so soon after his senior year had started? This year was his last chance with his current team to defeat Shiratorizawa and to go to the Nationals. This year was supposed to be HIS damned year! He would not and could not let this final opportunity be destroyed by a minor injury's.

Sighing, Tooru turned on his back and unzipped his sport jacket to chase away the late summer warmth, before turning on his bedside lamp. Dim light illuminated the big room, as the young man looked aimlessly up to the ceiling. With his jaw pressed together, he bent his weak leg, streching his foot to relieve the dull ache a little. But he couldn't help hissing quite annoyed, when he felt a slight sting in his strained ankle. Clicking his tongue, the young man sat up to run his long fingers over his leg, rubbing the ache away before deciding that it would be best to just distract himself a little. With a quick glance at the clock he had made sure that it was not too late to annoy his best friend a little and accordingly searched for his cell phone shortly afterwards in the pockets of his pants. When he couldn't find it there, he run his hands over his white jacket, where he finally got hold of it with a triumphant snort. With his goal in mind, he pulled out his smart phone, but felt himself pulling something else out of his pocket as well.

He was surprised to find the bookmark that he had picked up from the corridor of his school that afternoon. As before, he inspected the laminated paper, while he wondered why he'd picked up something so cheesy in the first place. Sure he liked aliens and all the stuff that went with them, but in the end it was just a stupid homemade bookmark that some girl must have lost. At least he assumed a girl had lost it, considering that it had been signed with a username called 'LadyStardust'. Judging by the hashtag and the numbers, it seemed to be the nickname of a Discord account, but Tooru wasn't sure.

Thoughtfully, he read the single short sentence again, which had been painted in italic handwriting on the back of the little artwork.

"Is anybody out there?" He chanted softly, before turning his gaze away to look thoughtfully out of his window.